Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prepaid electricity meters

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    An interesting development from this thread !

I had a meeting with a person that drew up the block rates that the municipality uses and in my case it was found that there are irregularities and as this person has a very good contact at NERSA, this case is going to be referred to them and could end up in a audit of the municipal accounts.

As soon as this is sorted I shall post the official rates for our municipality and indicate how it can be verified.

By the way, according to this person, there is NO difference between pre-paid and conventional metering = same price and formula.
    Yes i agree,if your on the the Tariff A(IBT) which is for low to medium consumers then the tariff system is the same as the prepaid tarrif. But, as i said before, many of us are on the Tariff B which is for high consumption users.

It seems that up to 700Kwh per month is considered low to medium consumption and over that is considered medium to high consumption.

Tariff A(IBT) works on a sliding scale starting with '0 t0 50Kwh' at 63 cents a Kwh unit and going up to 'in excess of 700Kwh' at R2.00 per Kwh unit
    Tariff B on the other hand is a flat rate of R1.08 per Kwh unit plus a R23.36 fixed charge

I did a little calculation:

650 Kwh on Tariff A will set you back R595.34 and on Tariff B R729.26
    1000 Kwh on Tariff A will set you back R1295.34 and on Tariff B R1109.36

I hope this helps
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (08-Oct-12)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    One thing that we're facing at the moment is there needs to be a clear differentiation between municipal prepaid meters and private system prepaid meters. We do installations for a private system prepaid meter crowd, and their clients have certainly got the wrong idea as to what they are getting. They keep asking us to take out the municipal meter and think this replaces the municipal metering system.

Could the folk selling these things please take note and clearly diffentiate between the two in their marketing efforts and communication with the client, please. It's going to save everyone a heck of a lot of needless hassle.
    We take pains to explain this, but it seems that sometimes the person communicating the message doesn't realize that it wasn't understood by the customer

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Do you actually have qualified registered electricians who come to you, buy one unit, go to your customer, install the unit, test it and then issue an electrical certificate of compliance all for R150.00? I really find this hard to swallow
    We don't install one unit at a time, we have a minimum number of units - 25. We have agents that will install the ones and twos, then the prices will indeed be different.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa van Vliet View Post
    We don't install one unit at a time, we have a minimum number of units - 25. We have agents that will install the ones and twos, then the prices will indeed be different.
    Hi Vanessa, I am collecting info at the moment about private pre-paid meters. Could you please send me the specs and prices of your meters. I also need to know if they are available in Port Elizabeth. I might want 120.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Hi Vanessa, I am collecting info at the moment about private pre-paid meters. Could you please send me the specs and prices of your meters. I also need to know if they are available in Port Elizabeth. I might want 120.
    Have PM'ed you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123