Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Autos and Auto Parts in South Africa

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    We have hardly any American cars on our roads. Our Japanese cars are produced locally. There are of course the hot rodders who run American V8;s but they are few and far between. Strangely, we have a proliferation of Chinese cars. The Chinese cars should be cheap but they are not. Although 95% of our cars are produced locally and most of the production is exported, we still pay hefty prices for cars and parts. Our car industry is very protective of itself and have a lot to say about 'pirate parts' even if those parts are genuine but imported via unofficial channels. Another issue is the exchange rate, imported American products are extremely expensive locally.

Given the exchange rate, you may be better off importing stuff from South Africa and selling it in the US. I am not just talking abour car parts, maybe there is a market for leather iPad and iPhone5 covers for example. The trick would be to create a high value niche markets. I am not saying that the products need to have an African bent either, the products could be made to your specification.

Thanks
    Slightly off topic but maybe it can clarify some points
    http://www.ritztrade.com/south-afric...egulations.php

Suspended
    Thanks
    Might make sense for shipping Mercedes to Russian Far East if the price for shipping isn't exorbitant and you get vat exclusion. Problem is I don't know anyone there. Wondering car part prices though more to be honest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.