Thread: Mail on the Server

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Mail on the Server

What should I do not to leave emails on the server? I do receive them by means of importing them via gmail and for this reason see no point on leaving them on the server, unless there is a good reason to leave copies there.
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Your normally have a cap on how much storage you get - often around 50mb. once reached you will not receive emails, so best delete.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    The storage cap on Gmail is 10 GB. I have been using gmail for almost 2 years now and stands on 1.2 GB. The question is why should I leave emails on the server of my host? Gmail is very convenient as I can label my mails and retrieve them from anywhere, anytime.
    Is there some sort of a setting I can use to retrieve the emails and delete them once retrieved? I do not want to go through cPanel every time to clean up my emails
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Assuming your gmail account is collecting your mail using POP3, make sure you haven't checked the "leave mail on server" box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remove-mail.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	2832

Forwarding your mail to the gmail account can be a problem for a few reasons, automatically removing the email once it's forwarded being but one of them.

Thanks
    The advantage of Gmail is it will never get full. Your available space grow constantly. It also save you space on your PC. I actually use Gmail as storage

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Faan View Post
    The storage cap on Gmail is 10 GB. I have been using gmail for almost 2 years now and stands on 1.2 GB. The question is why should I leave emails on the server of my host? Gmail is very convenient as I can label my mails and retrieve them from anywhere, anytime.
    Is there some sort of a setting I can use to retrieve the emails and delete them once retrieved? I do not want to go through cPanel every time to clean up my emails
    ?

I was talking about your host. Highly unlikely that has a 10gb cap. And Gmail can be set so that it removes the emails once retrieved as Dave says

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Assuming your gmail account is collecting your mail using POP3, make sure you haven't checked the "leave mail on server" box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remove-mail.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	2832

Forwarding your mail to the gmail account can be a problem for a few reasons, automatically removing the email once it's forwarded being but one of them.
    Dave perhaps you should let us have more detail on some of the other problems you are aware or could think of.

My cap on cPanel with the host was set at 250mb but changed to ad infinitum (don't know where the symbol for this is!)
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Faan View Post
    Dave perhaps you should let us have more detail on some of the other problems you are aware or could think of.
    One of the biggest problems with automated mail forwarding is what happens when there is a very specific SPF record associated with the original email.

SPF records are critical to the fight against spam and proper use improves deliverability - but one of the consequences is mail forwarders use the originating email address, but replace the original sending center information with their own. This flags the email as being from an unauthorised sending center, which is interpreted adversely by spam filters as minimum, and can even result in the email not being delivered at all under some server rules.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Faan (14-Sep-12)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hello Everyone,

I am using Google for storing my email addresses since last 4-5 years and it's still not get full.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gary001 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am using Google for storing my email addresses since last 4-5 years and it's still not get full.
    It is not a matter of storing the mail with Google, but to not keep it on your server where it is sent to, eg my customers send email to info@dial-a-chef.co.za but I use gmail to fetch it and store those I want stored with gmail. The original question was what to do when gmail has fetched the mail and to not leave a copy on the server.
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com