Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Business Ideas 101

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post

1. Lets look at electricity and energy.
    The problem is that we look at this incorrectly. We turn energy into electricity and then we turn it into someting else i.e. light, heat, etc. I think that we need to focus on generating energy and storing energy in more appropriate forms. So the question is this: If we need light at night, how do we gather light during the day, store it and then set it free at night. Same goes with heat. Ok, light. One could store light directly via lumenescent materials. Heat, one could store it by heating stones and trapping the heat then realising it slowly at night. The point that I am making is that we are trying to solve the wrong problem; the problem is not how to store electricity; the problem is how to store appropriate energy and release it over time.
    There is a system that uses PV cells to electrolyze hydrogen from water.
    In a twenty four hour period with a given amount of daylight (not necessarily sunlight) the system creates enough hydrogen to drive a turbine that will supply all the electricity a household would need.

Problem is that the PV cells will cover the roof of the average house (pricey)
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    2 Points I would like to address as problems.

1. Storage of petrol has another problem, Petrol goes off if stored for long periods. In fact it start deteriorating at about 3 months. So storage is not a solution.

2. Charging passengers in your vehicle, requires that you have a public drovers license, which requires you to do a driver test every year, and secondly your vehicle insurance will climb dramatically because the vehicle is now used for public transport.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    Dried foods is good money wise, most of dried foods in USA is either local, South American, or Turkish/Mid-East/Central-Asia.

I buy raisins and uruk(dried apricots) my guess is both are from Turkey since the stores I get em at are Russian and simply speaking without local retailers buying your stuff in bulk and at low prices you have no shot.

I have been thinking about this:

1) bullet proof vests to SA how much are they there and who sells em? or does Denel make their own.

2) plexy glass? for bulletproof windows and motion sensors or IR sensors for area security. Ergo if someone between the weght of 100-300lbs walks over it it alerts you but otherwise not really. perhaps bear traps for people lol.

3) adrianh you might be interested in energy storage something like gyros. I mean flywheels. "Beacon power"(went bk but got bought out, so still alive) had interesting technology for flywheel energy storage. Not a new technology but hardly ever talked about. I don't think its' effective for us small users or even small commercial users.

Then you have micro trubines which is somewhat interesting like capstone, but there are diesel and gas generators by big firms like Briggs and Stratton and Yamaha I think, and little guys like Hardy Diesel generators. If their cost and operation is cheaper than Eskom+Municipal overhead charges it might make sense.

Theoretically if you spend more than 63 cents per 1kw an hour it might make sense to get a generator. Assuming diesel cost per gallon is around $7.5 and it takes .84 gallons per 1kw generated as it says in calculations. Most of these above in the states can work on Nat Gas cause we have a lot of it so for some it makes sense.

4/5th) Idea is to figure out what has some energy demands but is not economic on the grid, but is economic off the grid, get grants from own government for part of it, and exploit the niche between grid/non-grid parity. Automate it to compete on labor interruptibility etc...
    [Looked at Zhauns, not it in my mind]. Small sugar processing plant might make sense if you actually produce a diesel out of it or an ethalnol aspect. Ergo make it for yourself in essence and distribute to gas station. Granted all of this is already in the multi-million dollar world.

Perhaps fertilizer, or coffee roasting and packaging.

Thanks
    Alex instead of posting the same link in several threads, tell us about the website you are trying to point us to and why we should look at it. Or is this just a link building exercise?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Alex was dis-missed.

Yet another "social media SEO expert" that doesn't understand the forum medium

6. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (25-Sep-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wm-front.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	2878 This was my design for a t-shirt .

What you will be saying if you wear the t-shirt that you acknowledge that something is just not right with South Africa. Anyone is free to use the design, in any way shape or form

8. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (05-Oct-12)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I understand critics, many of the ideas that are making people money in the world today are ideas that people say would never work. When I was living in England I went to soho china town, and the place is full of chinese restaurants, how does one then open a another chineses restarant in a place full of chinese restaurants and make a sucess. One owner starts a restaurant called Wonkys, the theme of the chinese restuarant is that the waiters and chefs are very rude to clients, the restaurant is famous for that.
    Thats funny. Not only did I frequent Wonkys I also got the T shirt! My wife and I still miss their chilli pork chop.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap_sak View Post
    Thats funny. Not only did I frequent Wonkys I also got the T shirt! My wife and I still miss their chilli pork chop.
    me too and visit to Intrepid Fox! Pub.

Thanks
    Here is a business idea free of charge. I just do not have the facilities to make it productively.

Spinning Exercise equipment that generates electricity.

Many years ago when we first got TV a friend of mine built a prototype of this and connected it via a car battery and inverter to power his TV. The law in his house became: "No power in battery no watchee TV"

Many modern urban people spend hours at exercise Running, Cycling, Walking, Rowing. With equipment such as this their physical effort can be put to use.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouman View Post
    Here is a business idea free of charge. I just do not have the facilities to make it productively.

Spinning Exercise equipment that generates electricity.

Many years ago when we first got TV a friend of mine built a prototype of this and connected it via a car battery and inverter to power his TV. The law in his house became: "No power in battery no watchee TV"

Many modern urban people spend hours at exercise Running, Cycling, Walking, Rowing. With equipment such as this their physical effort can be put to use.
    Ouman, are you not watching too many TV ads?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast