Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Business Ideas 101

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Business Ideas 101

Most of us are here to promote our businesses, some are here for the interesting conversations. But being a business forum, I am hoping people would join this thread and throw business ideas they might have but have no interest investing in, or time to open the door of opportunity, so lets put some ideas out there for those wanting to invest and lacking ideas.

1. Water Purification
    A future problem in South Africa, water chemicals are expensive and with bad service delivery water quality will get worse and worse. You can get a water franchise business with sosafe.com. The brilliance of this idea is that it kind of follows the software model. You sell clients the purification machine like say Reverse Osmosis, dont try and make a large profit on the machine, you make money from replacement cartridges.

2. Water Storage Tanks
    With lack of water it is important that people collect rain water for use in the Garden etc. But perhaps in stead of making plastic ones for sale set up a business making them out of bricks, I have even seen some in Malaysia made out of wire mess and clay.

3. Solar Panels
    Provide some form of solar power for homes.

4. Invertors
    One can use solar to charge battery and an invertor to power up house, a good future business to invest in.

5. Rasberry Pi
    Seems there is a demand for these Mobo's, installed with a good linux OS one I am sure can find a market for the many wishing to join the computer revolution

6. Dried Foods

8. With the price of petrol increasing, people will need some from of Petrol storage at home, so that they can buy and keep before a price rise.

9. Security- Not every one can afford good security, but one could make fake cameras, fake electric wiring, just to give the illusion of security. Sounds stupid I guess but a plane flying at 3000 feet with a seat belt is an illusion of safety.

What ideas do you have for business in this enviroment. What can be imported that is needed, what should be manufactured and not imported.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I tend to be a bit of a sceptic. I'll happily do my best to punch holes in any business ideas . The biggest problem with this is that if its a genuine half decent idea, guys are going to try and keep it out of the public domain for as long as possible - until it comes to sales time.

I've had extra capacity in terms of staff, factory space and other basic infrastructure for years now, but have still not managed to find products to take up this slack. It of course doesn't help that I tend to need serious convincing when it comes to business ideas. I am of the view that a decent new product needs somebody to "champion" it and get the first sales going by using their specific skills, experience and/or contacts. Finding someone to do this is tough.

However it will be interesting to see if what people might add to your list.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How about Reverse Factoring?

Big corporates are being forced to buy from BEE suppliers to maintain a high BEE rating. The small, black supplier usually does not have access to bank credit as he; 1. may be too small, 2. does not have equity, 3. does not have security, 4. does not even have a proper balance sheet, 5. may have a poor credit record or even judgments against him.

Scenario: Big Company (BC) buys from established suppliers with whom they enjoy 30 day credit terms, which gives the accounts dept. time to reconcile accounts and arrange for payment. BC now want to buy from a small black entrepreneur (Sipho) to boost BEE points, but also to promote black entrepreneurship.

Problem: Sipho can not give 30 days credit and requires COD payment so that he can buy stock for the next order. He has no access to bank credit as he has no security and a bad credit record (because he gave credit before and could not pay his own supplier). BC does not want to pay COD as it also causes problems with the accounting cycle.

Solution: BC contacts me to arrange Reverse Factoring which will enable COD payments to Sipho, but still allow BC their 30 day terms. I do not require any credit checks or security from Sipho, as payment is guaranteed by BC. BC is a Big Company with an excellent credit record, so the risk is minimal, as long as we have proof of payment and correct documentation (invoice, POD etc.)

Operation: Sipho delivers goods. BC sends E-mail or fax to confirm delivery. Factor confirms details and gross invoice value. Once validated, Factor deducts fees and pays Sipho via EFT. No retention is required as there will be no further dilution of the confirmed invoice value. At month end BC reconciles accounts and pay Factor the total of invoices due.

Risk/Reward: a flat fee of 5% is charged and deducted from Sipho's gross invoice value. Sipho can buy COD and demand a discount from his supplier. Sipho can now grow his business as he has no cash flow constraints. As the business grows, Sipho can build up a credit record with his supplier(s) and his bank. He may eventually qualify for an overdraft or other banking facility which may be cheaper.

Sipho may now invest in a delivery vehicle and start hiring people to work in his expanded business. If we finance all the Sipho's this way, we may even boost the economy by 1 or 2 %.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

4. Thanks given for this post:

vieome (06-Sep-12)

Thanks
    Edison made a lot of different light bulbs before he got to the one that worked well.
    I have tried a few things and it is the simple that works. Like short run presentation folders.
    Some interesting ideas how about some ideas around education we need that badly.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I would like to know the following:

Is this topic about making money or about solving the world's problems? (I don't have an agenda, it's simply a question to determine a departure point)

Suspended
    Thanks
    True Entrepenuership is about solving poblems

Problems: is electicity, water, racism......could entreprenuership solve that somehow?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas.D View Post

Problems: is electicity, water, racism......could entreprenuership solve that somehow?
    Entrepreneurship is seeing an opportunity and making that opportunity work for you. In some extreme cases it may be about solving problems, but mostly it is about creating a better product/service or making life easier for the consumer who pays for the product or service. As example; the cell phone changed how we communicate, just because of the convenience of being able to phone from anywhere. Having you phone in your pocket is convenience.

ATM's changed the way that we bank as the bank is now open 24/7. All successful products are about convenience to the consumer.

Suspended
    Thanks
    before cellphone you had to find a pay phone, the problem was that people became tired and in an emergency it took quiet some time. Banks were closed early in the day and not open on Sunday's so people struggled to get their money when they needed it hence the ATM.

All businesses that innovate solve problems and those types are started by entrepreneurs (people who see a problem and then solve it all the while making a profit. Just starting a business anyone can do and their are a lot of people starting businesses but they are not all entrepreneur, some are just business people doing business, true entrepreneurs create value, and not just businesses. Or else every shop owner that sells cigarettes and sweets is a entrepreneur or if I see some one selling health products then I also start selling health products cause they making money am I an entrepreneur?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas.D View Post

We have designed a product that allows you to read both your water and electricity consumption in your house. The municipality can read both in their offices. (they can also shut it down) This system solves many problems as it eliminates incorrect manual readings and gives both utility and consumer peace of mind. Billing can now be automated and the convenience of remote reading appeals to both consumer and utility.

I do not understand the racism part as racism is only found in politics. It is practiced by people who have hidden agendas in their hunger for power. That is why I do not like politicians. In business the colour of everyone's money is the same.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Racism is still a problem and it needs to be solved, it could make someone very rich the only question is how. racism is found in the common household and not in politics. corruption is the word I think you are refering to - hunger for power with a hidden agenda sounds more like corruption.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast