Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Business Ideas 101

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Part of the problem

Watch this and see how bizarre packaging can be...

https://www.boredpanda.com/unnecessary-packaging/

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post

Exactly! Many companies use fancy packaging as part of their marketing or "image", but they do go overboard and end up being irresponsible.

It reminds me of the dog food company who launched a new product with fancy packaging.
    The product flew off the shelves for the first two weeks and they had to increase production to keep up.
    But then it all stopped. No sales! Why?

The dogs did not like the new dog food!

(Nobody bothered to ask the dogs what they wanted)
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N3 plastic road.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	7714

Another "plastic" road!
    There is another one at Shishalanga's Cliffdale depot in KZN.
    On the 10th Sept officials gathered to witness the company's road surface trial. They have improved on an international formula with at least 6% recycled plastic content.

This is an outstanding achievement by a South African company!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post

We have 9 cats so we go though a loooooooooot of cat food. I find it interesting how the packaging and flavors are aimed at us humans - I think that most of the cat food smells really bad and probably doesn't taste anything like the advertised flavors....
    If only the cats could speak :-)

It also reminds me of a Garfield cartoon I saw years ago - Garfield was complaining that the "Doggy biscuits" don't taste like "Doggy" at all.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post

I might be way off the mark...my thought is that China for example are smart in the way they dump their waste... in fact they are so smart ...they get you to buy their waste in the form of a highly toxic plastic item (which is not tested) ...which only lasts a short period of time ...in fact the time frame is irrelevant ...so long as you are left with the responsibility of disposing of the item.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Exactly! Many companies use fancy packaging as part of their marketing or "image", but they do go overboard and end up being irresponsible.

It reminds me of the dog food company who launched a new product with fancy packaging.
    The product flew off the shelves for the first two weeks and they had to increase production to keep up.
    But then it all stopped. No sales! Why?

The best way to check if what you are giving your animal is good or bad... the smells they drop while spending quality time in the house or the aftermath on the grass.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I might be way off the mark...my thought is that China for example are smart in the way they dump their waste... in fact they are so smart ...they get you to buy their waste in the form of a highly toxic plastic item (which is not tested) ...which only lasts a short period of time ...in fact the time frame is irrelevant ...so long as you are left with the responsibility of disposing of the item.
    Our products are manufactured from virgin material only, but we are competing against cheap imports using recycled material. Of course there is a huge difference between the safety and lifetime of these products, but consumers are totally ignorant and buy on price only.

It is important, but not always possible to check the origin of goods. I have seen reports of small plastic particles in rice or sweets. As a bachelor I lived on cheese, bully beef and whatever I mixed with it. After having seen how certain foodstuffs are made, I will never touch a polony or bully beef again.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Spending a chilled Saturday morning considering ...what next... Electric cars.

Well it seems electric cars are the way forward ...with that comes infrastructure.

Looks like i found my next venture... for the next 30 years... by then i will be 80 and ready for the furnace.

Solar power has been around for a while... many buildings are already covered in panels and many more will be covered in the near future... it seems with solar power comes a new tariff ... already in the pipeline or in some cases already implemented... I keep hearing this new phrase "industrialization tariff" a fancy word for a tax you gona be paying on solar/ self generated power ... you will be given 60 or 6000 amps and charged for that amount of power supplied not consumed... I suppose they have to start considering how they will generate revenue from you when all the power stations are sitting idle... you would think it would be encouraged ...but it isnt because someone is gona loose a lot of revenue... i mean the entire drag net ...coal suppliers ... transport etc etc.

Think about...at the rate technology is progressing... us old fools are getting left behind faster than we can think... looking at the big picture ...it requires huge infrastructure... until someone creates a solar panel with the capacity to run and charge the vehicle as it moves ...electric cars will require power....charge stations etc etc. solar power is going to be the ideal way to power these vehicles... people with solar panels are going to be fighting for the sunny spot rather than the shading parking lot.

I have noticed an almost negative approach to solar power because people are concerned about this "industrialized tariff" ...but in reality ...lets face it ...solar panels are gona be the way forward ... just like electric cars... building infrastructure to charge and store batteries is gona be massive... now is a good time to be in this industry.

Thank goodness i am already in the electrical industry... i am gona start focusing my energy on solar and electric cars etc... start learning everything i need to know about solar power installations ....where to source battery components to build battery banks... inverters grid tie and hybrid... and everything else related to it.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I personally think that electric cars are a big joke (especially in this country). Imagine all our cars running on electricity supplied by ESKOM......

Lugging 500kg of Lithium around is also completely ridiculous - The stuff is downright dangerous and firefighters don't know what to do when those battery catch fire and burn for hours on end.

Electric cars are no different to CFL and led lighting - its just an excuse to create another new replacement market of obsolescent products that really don't have much value when one looks at them on a cradle to grave basis. All that they do is shift the energy used to the manufacturer and thus the consumer is duped into believing that this "new" technology is the answer to the world's problems.

The bottom line is that the problem with transportation lies in our notion that each and every person on this planet need 1 ton of "new" technology to lug them around.....unless we move to remote offices and mass transportation we are just going around in circles feeding the obsolescent wasteful economy of "new tech is better"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    it seems with solar power comes a new tariff ... already in the pipeline or in some cases already implemented... I keep hearing this new phrase "industrialization tariff" a fancy word for a tax you gona be paying on solar/ self generated power ... you will be given 60 or 6000 amps and charged for that amount of power supplied not consumed... I suppose they have to start considering how they will generate revenue from you when all the power stations are sitting idle... you would think it would be encouraged ...but it isnt because someone is gona loose a lot of revenue... i mean the entire drag net ...coal suppliers ... transport etc etc.
    Indeed, you would think it would be encouraged. And if you want to know why, the answer is Eskom debt. R450 billion of it and climbing...

We are the only country in the world that financially discourages embedded PV generation. In Durban the infrastructure availability fee for a single phase residence if I put in rooftop PV at my house is higher than my current electricity bill! It is insanity. The only financially viable installations in Durban at the moment are 3 phase installations which pull a large load... So I'll put in solar for my geyser at my house (which doesn't attract a punitive tariff (yet)) and stop there at the moment.

And yes, Eskom is our greatest obstacle to widespread electric car adoption. There is absolutely no way that we have the required capacity from the existing grid, even mindful of the development plan, for a rapid switch from fossil fuel fired engines to electric for our national automobile fleet.

The significance of the Eskom financial disaster cannot be overstated.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast