Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entrepreneursip-The Key To Poverty Reduction In Africa?

Thanks
    This is so true. The in the West many outsiders think that our government the one who provides the money or investments to start businesses, but usually most businesses in the U.S especially are family and friends owned. Usually as long your family believe in your vision they are the one who always back you. Don't get me wrong now the U.S government has grants and loans for small business start ups but it's very difficult getting these loans or grants. There long list of requirements to get your hands on these loans. I believe for Africa to fully compete in the Business World it's everybody on the continent outside must help because Africa needs help from all people around the World. Africa help the World to rise so it's time that the rest of the World Africa.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I don't usually comment on subjects like this one.I spend a lot of time in the rural parts of KZN and the Eastern Cape and have spent some time in Zimbabwe.There are some people out there that make a go at starting businesses and when I say businesses, they create micro business which is just there to keep them fed and to have a roof over their heads.I take my hat off to the people out there that try.Rural Zimbabweans are FAR more enterprising than rural South Africans because they don't have a grant system!!

Now on the other side there are the freeloaders that get the government grants,please don't get me wrong here but there is the mindset out there that the more babies I have the more grant money I get. I do agree that some grants do need to be payed but not as much as is currently.The grant system is not sustainable the way that it is growing.

I also think that the Health system in SA needs a bit of a wake up call.We have calls from the Health Dept. to reduce our salt intake but people are dying because there are not enough ARV's or TB treatment.We seriously need to cut out all the nonsense and look at the serious issues first.

I think honestly that there needs to be more family planning done in Africa if not the world.We cannot sustain the growth and the pressure on all resources.

Employment wise,I am not sure what the answer is but I try and create employment where I can and as I grow my business by WORKING HARD!!

Rant over,enjoy the rest of the week and remember have less babies!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Prince, I totally agree with you.

I have just finished reading a book on Richard Branson. If we all had his entrepreneurial spirit and work ethic I am sure the world would be a better place.

Yes, Africa does not need aid. It needs partnerships. Buy our products. Agricultural as well as mining and industrial. I am sure that $1 in investment will go further than $1 in aid. I have two clients who are currently benefiting from partnering with US firms, but we need US companies to buy more of our products and services for us to grow.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Agreed roryf. The current population growth is not sustainable and is putting strain on already scare resources.

This is exacerbated by a child grant system which is encouraging population growth where we should actually be applying birth control. As in the UK, there are people exploiting the system to get grant money. It may have been well intended, but the consequences was obviously not considered. The population explosion is just creating more unemployed people.

Unfortunately it is the same all over the world; from Chile to China, from India to Africa. The poorest people, who can least afford it, always have the most children.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Was wondering why aren't CO-OPs more prevalent in SA or I just didn't search for any before I said that to be honest.
    I mean like in Switzerland etc... and credit unions etc...

Blurock not everyone can be like Branson and work ethic takes practice and application most including myself don't have or do not want to have because its' possible not to have it.

Government is an enabler of those whom it considers its' constituency it usually makes their problem stretch out because all effort spent in "helping" is actually preventing sustainable change.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (18-Sep-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well, if we all just sat around not doing anything, the world would be like Haiti, where nothing happens every 5 minutes and lasts for an hour.

If everyone had a better work ethic, there would be no broken windows, potholed roads or failed electricity grids. Everything would be working and there would be nothing more to fix. We could then all go down to the local pub and celebrate...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12