Thread: NCA and Credit Life Policies

Email problem
    Thanks

Exclamation NCA and Credit Life Policies

Just to sketch the scenario. Say for example I take out a policy on my dad's life where I'm the beneficiary. That makes me the policy holder, I pay the premiums and my dad is the insurer. Now in the context of the NCA what is people's opinion on the following:
    1. A credit provider takes out a policy to ensure the loan is protected, i.e. the provider is the policy holder.
    2. The insured person is the consumer.
    3. The credit provider pays the premiums to the insurer.
    4. The credit provider levies a fee called "Additional Benefit" charge, to offset the premium they are paying, or are you only allowed the descriptions in section 102 of the Act. If that is the case what about calling it "the cost of an extended warranty agreement".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Welcome ara.
    Quote Originally Posted by ara View Post
    Just to sketch the scenario. Say for example I take out a policy on my dad's life where I'm the beneficiary. That makes me the policy holder, I pay the premiums and my dad is the insurer.
    Your dad would be the insured, I think.

I see a problem in a credit provider accepting this scenario to "insure" debt of either yourself or your father - unless you were to cede the policy to the credit provider as "insurance" on the debt of your father.

In theory, the credit provider is seeking to cover the death of the person responsible for payment of the debt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ara View Post
    4. The credit provider levies a fee called "Additional Benefit" charge, to offset the premium they are paying, or are you only allowed the descriptions in section 102 of the Act. If that is the case what about calling it "the cost of an extended warranty agreement".
    I have not got to analysing this aspect of the Act yet. Hopefully someone else can respond.
    Last edited by Dave A; 05-Jun-07 at 04:52 PM.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.