Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: End of ECB registering electrical contractors

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Just received notice form the ECB, notifying me that as of the 1 September 2012, the DOL will be doing the registrations...mmmm this could get interesting.

Thanks
    Hi Guys
    I registered with the DoL in the Western Cape and I was really impressed with their service. It took 2 days to get everything done. It's funny how we say it's surprising when things are done like they are supposed to :-)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    2 days!!!!!!! it took me 5 minutes to register with ECB.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArc View Post
    It took 2 days to get everything done.
    Would you mind sharing exactly what "needed to be done" and if there was a reason it took 2 days (didn't have a particuar supporting document on the first visit, perhaps?)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    A searchable database would be nice but I'd like to see the DoL walk before they start running and possibly drop the ball completely. Hopefully they can get the registrations right then maybe look at maintaining an online database of contractors.
    They still so busy fumbling trying to pick it up so there's hardly reason to fear them "dropping" it is there? :-D

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I am with sparks on this one, and to add, i would say the ball is full of water so hasnt quite reached the surface yet, to be picked up, lets hope its not so slippery wet when they do pick it up that it doesnt slip away again. The way i see it the DOL must have seen revenue being generated and wanted a piece of the action, Once they have blown the money i am sure they will need a bail out plan and look for someone else to pick up the pieces again or increase the fee.

I still dont understand how this benefits the contractor or the customer. Until all COC are registered and random checks are done on the COCs issued it is an absolute waste of our money. Why i say this i have still not sent in any documentation backing the fact that i am a master electrician, they asked me for it but i have never got around to sending off any documentation,yet i am registered...mmm makes you think.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Why i say this i have still not sent in any documentation backing the fact that i am a master electrician, they asked me for it but i have never got around to sending off any documentation,yet i am registered...mmm makes you think.
    Geez - talk about laying temptation in the path of others...

Mind you, when that hazardous location installation you signed off on blows... not worth it.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My point is, if you gona put a camera on the freeway to catch people for speeding, you need to take the film out or have people to follow up and enforce the laws. Otherwise you are just wasting our money.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oh I agree absolutely. Regulation without appropriate enforcement only penalises the law abiding citizen - and that is the exact opposite of the fundamental purpose of regulation.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Listening to electrical contractors talking, contractors have realised that there is no law enforcemant in the electrical industry and are starting to ask the question, why should they follow a set of rules when nobody else does. It costs money to abide by the rules and register with all the relevant institutions, bodies, etc. So unless you are a big company dealing with big corporate/industrial organisations who have rules in place and engineers who "monitor" work in their factories, the standard of work will continue to deteriate until such time DOL step up to the plate and take on the their responsibility of enforcing the law. Some people would say, as a responsible person you should be responsible and abide by the rules without have someone looking over your shoulder, reality check, money is tight, rules and regulations out the window and then there are the people who know they are not gona get caught so they do electrical work anyway.

How many people would wear seat belts and not text while driving unless they enforce the law and actually do something about it?

I was driving next to a young lady on the N3 yesterday at 120 km/hr, holding her iphone with one hand texting, and driving with the other, we were driving next to her counting the time she looked at the phone and how long she watched the road...2-3 seconds on the phone 1 second on the road, what amazed me was she could still continue to text when were got into the traffic, so clearly women can multi task, until she has an accident and kills herself and anyone else she takes down with her, my point you cant make rules and not enforce them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast