I have had a number of queries relating to the status of "T" registrations, particularly in respect of food safety audits.

This is my understanding of where we stand:

The issue of T registrations first came up about a year ago as a result of the change in Registrars. We had to defend a member of the Association against an accusation that T registrations were not lawful.

The T system was implimented by agreement under Mr. E. Wolmarans. The current Registrar has stated that he is unhappy with the system, and it is currently being revised. It was agreed that the existing system would remain in force until the new regulations (being contemplated at the time) are implimented.

This is a process that has taken a year to date (I regret the wheels of government grind a trifle slow), and in fact our negotiations with the Department of Agriculture around the new regulations were only finalised at a meeting on the 21st February 2006. There is still a little while to go before the new regulations take effect as, apart from the need to be published, they rely heavily on unit standards which are currently being held up in the SAQA process, which in turn will delay implimentation.

Accordingly, the "status quo" remains and T registrations are still considered acceptable for the time being.

Just to clarify the direction the new regulations are taking; the requirements for P registrations are being brought into line with the current standards for T registrations. Accordingly, a T registration should not be considered sub-standard at this point.