Thread: COMBINING DATABASE TABLES

Email problem
    Thanks

COMBINING DATABASE TABLES

Hi guys,

I know it is possible to pull data through from excel from multiple databases. I have a basic understanding of sql (Microsoft server management studio) and I have been playing around with the Data tab "import from other sources" tab.

Now here is where it gets overwhelming. Do I use OLEDB or ODBC or can I query straight from sql? and if so guide me in getting this information into one dataworkbook. I know how to use the select function to select certain columns but it seems at this stage i will have to combine 2 tables per database. (3 databases in total).

ANY guidance welcome.

PS pulling the info from Pastel evolution so if you have a smart BIC person out there to help please! (I only have standard not advanced version)

Email problem
    Thanks
    the Data tab "import from other sources" - in EXCEL

Thanks
    Jonesey,
    I would use the import from other sources and ODBC to get the data from the tables. I would bring the tables in into separate sheets and then look at combining the data. Without a bit more info on what you are trying to achieve that is the best I can supply at this point.
    I would be careful as I thought Pastel did not use a standard SQL but I may be a little out of date there. especially as evolution is their latest product.

I would proceed slowly though. Bring in one table and get used to using the import functionality before going for multiple tables.

Regards

Tim

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Tim,

yeah Evolution is pretty powerful and unlike the lesser products in the range which work on pervasive actual has standard sql capabilities. It is amazing what you can do with this package with a little knowledge.

Thanks - going to play a bit this week and then ask more pertinent questions if and WHEN I get stuck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesey View Post
    Hi Tim,

yeah Evolution is pretty powerful and unlike the lesser products in the range which work on pervasive actual has standard sql capabilities. It is amazing what you can do with this package with a little knowledge.

Thanks - going to play a bit this week and then ask more pertinent questions if and WHEN I get stuck.
    Enjoy the play and thanks for the update on the SQL. You may also like to look at what Mr. Excel can offer. his site is here and he offers great advice and also downloads of some really neat tricks. You can always learn something from one of his webcasts.

Thanks
    Hi Jonesy this just dropped into my inbox and I thought that you might like to have it http://bookboon.com/en/business-eboo...-non-students2

7. Thanks given for this post:

jonesey (30-Oct-12)