Thread: Married in Community of Property not aware of Sequestration order against wife

Suspended
    Thanks

Married in Community of Property not aware of Sequestration order against wife

Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right forum but desperate for some clarification:

Long Story Short- Was living in SA for a number of years, me EU citizen. Met SA woman, got married in community of property, moved to EU.
    Marriage was a fake, she had seriously misled me as to her assets. We split recently and upon investigation found she had a final sequestration order issued against her in 2005, and has 3 defaults and 1 other judgement.
    Without lecturing about how stupid i was, this i know. I would like to know the following:
    • Am I correct in saying that I am technically liable for her debts
    • Is there any way of getting a copy of the actual Order issued by the CT High Court, I do have case number.
    • How long does a sequestration order stay in effect.

I am worried about contacting the Plaintiff to get a copy of the order, as it was her own solicitors, who I am told are still looking for her.

I am living outside SA and dont intend to return there to live, I am looking to have the marriage annulled by a local court here and want to get my hands on as much data on her as possible. She does appear in the Green Gazette up to 2009 as an insolvent estate.

Hope someone can offer me some clarity

Thanks

Silver Member
    Thanks
    GD, when a couple is married COP you become one, all your assets and liabilites are one, so you become jointly and severely responsible for all your liabilities. I'm not a legal person so I suggest you hire an attorney in SA to deal with this matter, I don't think it's gona be a simple one.

Good luck with everything, I hope you sort it out soon
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---