Thread: Need a laser to project an image on a steel table

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Need a laser to project an image on a steel table

Hi All,

I have an inquiry in which a laser would do the job, can any one point me in the right direction please.

I need to project an image on a metal table, it may be square or rectangle with areas of square, rectangle or circular parts with in the frame, of an approximate size of 3 meters. An operator will then line up pre-cut pieces and assemble the shape on a table, and then fabricate the parts into a full product.

Can anyone recommend a laser display unit capable of doing this. We will be creating many shapes and would like to control the display image, depending on which part is going to be fabricated.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I'll be very surprised if one would be allowed to use a laser for this purpose. The problem of course is that laser light reflects off steel and has a chance of striking the operators eyes. Wouldn't it be possible to simply place a computer presentation projector overhead and point it down at the table. Add a bit of sideways thinking and WII motes fitted to his gloves and you have an interactive table....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I'll be very surprised if one would be allowed to use a laser for this purpose. The problem of course is that laser light reflects off steel and has a chance of striking the operators eyes. Wouldn't it be possible to simply place a computer presentation projector overhead and point it down at the table. Add a bit of sideways thinking and WII motes fitted to his gloves and you have an interactive table....
    mmmm interesting, never thought about the possibility of reflection...... need to discuss that with the client.

A projector can work, all that may be required is a set up the first time to ensure that the generated image is projected dimensionally correct.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I really don't think that laser is feasible. I get the odd reflection from my laser cutter reflected off the edge of the honeycomb and I can tell you it isn't pleasant. I really think that a projector with a powerful lamp will do the trick. You will have to do some research into the focal length of the projectors...you may have to devise a 'contact lens' to adapt the machine.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi Agrian,

Just remember that your laser is used for cutting, the one for visual displays is only a couple of milliwatts, a far cry from your cutting laser.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Maybe, but even low power laser reflection still poses a danger. I bet you won't want to look into a laser pointer for any length of time.

Thanks
    Lol, unless you're an airline pilot.

We used to plot large layouts using one of these.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pantograph.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	2772
    I still have one I bought during my apprenticeship but I haven't seen one actually being used for many years.