Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: We are so fickle and cowardly

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

We are so fickle and cowardly

Hansie admitted only that he pretended to a match fixing syndicate member that he would be able to fix cricket match(s). At no stage did he actually fix any cricket match. Neither did he ever intend to do so. His intention was personal benefit at the expense of the crooks, not the game itself.
    He was condemned, vilified, demonized and hounded as the scum of the earth. A truly wonderful man was persecuted, leaving this world prematurely as a broken man. Even after his untimely death some continued to vilify him, despite his incredible contribution to the game of cricket and to the stature of his country. Hansie Cronje did not cheat in the game of cricket. He committed fraud on crooks. We condemned and hounded him to his grave.

Cameron did cheat. He cheated on the most prominent stage yet devised by mankind, the Olympics. He incorporated an illegal kick in going on to win the breast stroke final swimming event. Once he employed that kick it was no longer breast stroke. It was something else. It was cheating.
    His action was no different to a golfer using an illegal club to win the British Open, or me claiming my PHd on plagiarised content, or an athlete using a banned substance. It is all cheating.
    Doing it because others are also doing it is simply not an excuse, and never was. The fact that the IOC looks the other way simply implicates it in the cheating.
    Despite this he remains affirmed, lauded and applauded for being, not only an international champion, but the darling of a whole country, South Africa. This is the same country whose populace hounded Cronje, who did not cheat, but admitted dishonesty, to an early death.

So what is the difference here? Why is Cameron Van Der Burg a saint and Hansie Cronje a scoundrel? It is nothing more than the fickleness of public opinion and the inherent hypocrisy of man. It abounds everywhere in huge abundance in what is known as the phenomena of "convenient untruths" and the suppression of "inconvenient truths".
    Provided the dominant entity pushes us in a particular direction, we follow unthinkingly. Usually the dominant entity is a government. In this case it is the International Olympic Committee. Because it has decided to turn a blind eye, look the other way and make a mockery of the breast stroke event, we are content to follow suit.

In my post "Are you a sheep" I state that --
    Human beings are "social animals". It is by bonding, cooperation and pulling together that we have achieved dominance over all other creatures on the planet. Psychologically we need to feel loved and accepted. We love the feeling of "belonging". To disagree with others is to risk rejection. To disagree with a dominant group is to invite being marginalized, even ostracized. So we are "hot wired" to have a "herd mentality".
    In his classic work “Animal Farm”, George Orwell quite spectacularly portrayed how the views of a dominant group become the norm for the rest. Because the rest accept and propagate these views “unthinkingly”, he rightly portrayed them as sheep. Sheep do not think for themselves. They simply follow whoever is leading. They are concerned only to be part of the herd. They have a herd mentality. Just one sheep dog can drive a whole herd of a hundred sheep in whatever direction it chooses.
    How right George Orwell was!! Really! We see this phenomenon repeat itself amongst humans with incredible regularity.

So, at a certain point, we are inclined to be sheep. No question whatsoever! We will unthinkingly follow the herd, disregarding principle and/or truth. It is why they all shouted out "crucify Him, crucify Him", 2012 years ago. It is why only a small handful of members,such as the Black Sash, of the dominant White group, opposed apartheid. It is why a tyrant, like Idi Amin, used to get a standing ovation from the Afro-Asian members at the United Nations, just months before he was deposed. It is why nobody will take issue with Affirmative Action and BEE in South Africa. even though these transformational models are immoral, racist and absurd, for being an exact reverse model of apartheid culture.
    It is why Usain Bolt is being lauded as the greatest Olympian even though this accolade is deserved by David Rudisha, for actually breaking a World record, and Jessica Ennis and Ashton Eaton for beating the World's best in a compedium of athletic events.

The question that arises is this -- is this good for the World? Is the World a better place because wrong is conveniently tolerated? Is the fabric of society of better quality because we often choose to abandon principle out of an admixture of convenience and cowardice?

I think not. I think the World is in its much troubled state because of this culture of "convenience", of a "herd mentality", of too many of us being "sheep".
    In my book I posted the following statement as the flypage. The book was published in October 2010. It was spectacularly vindicated by the end of that year when one ordinary man Mohammed Bouazizi said "enough is enough" and started the Arab Spring.

An ordinary life becomes extraordinary
    when you seek truth
    setting your face against deception and lies. Find it. Defend it.
    Then your life will have meaning to others. It will make a difference; howsoever small.
    And the world will change; for the better.
    Yes we can.
    When in doubt, just tell the truth. Oscar Wilde.
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

Suspended
    Thanks
    Im sorry but I do not agree with you ................... Hansie did not pretend - he took millions for confirmed match fixing !! ......... It was not only R50 000 as some Hansie fans like to think !

It was because of him and then continuous corruption afterwards and bookies that I have lost total interest in cricket !!!

3. Thank given for this post:

Citizen X (23-Aug-12), tec0 (10-Aug-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    WTF? Sheep can not swim!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There a song I think you must find from “Meatloaf” it is called “in the land of the pigs the butcher is king” Now to come back to your post, in the land of the sheep the same rule applies. The sheep is nice and safe until the butcher comes along and makes an example of a disobedient sheep.

How many people ended up in prison for doing what they believed in? How many people lost their jobs for saying something in anger?

You tell me...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    Im sorry but I do not agree with you ................... Hansie did not pretend - he took millions for confirmed match fixing !! ......... It was not only R50 000 as some Hansie fans like to think !

It was because of him and then continuous corruption afterwards and bookies that I have lost total interest in cricket !!!
    This will explain our weather lately... I agree with this statement....
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be careful about teeing off on the rules of breast stroke just at the moment unless you really grasp the technical subtleties. There have been quite significant rule changes in the last few years, and I suspect the rules are far from bedded down yet to deal with the change to allow the head to be totally submerged.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think the most interesting word in this discussion is "truth" there is no such thing, there are only perceptions and models, nothing more. The problem is that we all hold different models and have different perceptions. We agree at times that some models are the best representation of reality.

Truth only exists in the mind of the one who believes his own models and perceptions.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Hansie admitted only that he pretended to a match fixing syndicate member that he would be able to fix cricket match(s). At no stage did he actually fix any cricket match. Neither did he ever intend to do so. His intention was personal benefit at the expense of the crooks, not the game itself.
    Talking about "truth" Then this is so far from the truth that it is scary and people then believe what they want to believe ........... do you not remember when he admitted to "match fixing" and taking money on numerous occasions !!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNG53 View Post

So, at a certain point, we are inclined to be sheep. No question whatsoever! We will unthinkingly follow the herd, disregarding principle and/or truth.

I think not. I think the World is in its much troubled state because of this culture of "convenience", of a "herd mentality", of too many of us being "sheep".

When in doubt, just tell the truth. Oscar Wilde.
    I agree that most of us have herd mentality. Today i went to the Doctor and paid R300 so that my ear can be fixed the right way. My ear was hugely swolen for 2 months and I was strarting to panic, thinking maby it was a tumor or something, haha :-). Deep down I new it was just swolen from either rugby or MMA and I should go buy a syringe and drain it . I was totally against going to the doctor, but as my aunt insisted and it is the normal thing to do, i went. If I did the un-normal thing and just did it myself I could have saved R300.

It is the fact of not knowing what would happen if i did it myself, that I agreed to go to the doctor. Maby not 100% relative, but the sheep mentality comes from the fact that you don't know what would happen if you went against the herd. I have never been a herd follower and have been criticized for it allot, but luckily I was born always up for a fight.

As for Hansie, everyone has a opinion. I believe he is not to be judged any more than you would judge someone lending something from some-else, and not giving it back. That is also stealing. Hansie stole from his employers and us as paying watchers, for him to give his best. No matter what degree, stealing is stealing and only God can judge and forgive. No matter how big or small, sin is sin and Jesus paid for it. We think we have the right to judge others, by worldly standards. Well Jesus forgave him and so did I.

I am not perfect and don't expect other to be. Cameron is a hero, because to beat someone like Phelps, took hours and hours and hours of daily training, eating right and social up offerings. He worked hard for it and deserves the reception he is getting.

Cheers
    BJ :-)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    When in doubt just tell the truth...absolute rubbish...

When in doubt just keep your mouth shut.

The "truth" is not always appropriate.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.