Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: We are so fickle and cowardly

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    When in doubt just tell the truth...absolute rubbish...

When in doubt just keep your mouth shut.

The "truth" is not always appropriate.
    There are times when it is better to just keep your mouth shut, but in the end only the truth prevails. A lie can never be justified.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNG53 View Post
    Cameron did cheat. He cheated on the most prominent stage yet devised by mankind, the Olympics. He incorporated an illegal kick in going on to win the breast stroke final swimming event. Once he employed that kick it was no longer breast stroke. It was something else. It was cheating.
    What makes you think that Cameron has cheated? Because some "suurgat" Aussies raised an objection? Do you trust the Aussies? Do you know enough about the swimming rules to say for sure that he had cheated? Why did nobody else object?

I am sure that the other contestants would have objected if there was the slightest doubt about the outcome of the contest. I think Cameron is a great athlete and he has made us proud. He is a deserved champion!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In the end it is really easy to judge people. Some do so because they believe that they have the right, others do so to provoke a reaction. Regardless Cricket will never be the same for me not because of one man's actions, rather the ongoing actions that continue to taint the game to this day.

Rugby is much the same story now. After the last world cup I decided to take up fishing. There is no point in supporting a game where one corrupted individual can change the outcome. So in my eyes the sports that I enjoyed is now dead to me.

But the Olympics did more than just fail, it simply became a pointless spectacle. It is no longer about who is the best. It is about who can afford it. If you consider the equipment that you must own just to compete you automatically rule out thousands of athletes that simply cannot afford it.

So what is the point then? There is none.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Good on you Cameran you did us proud. Australia you can go xxxx xxxxxxxxxx. You are a country of absolute winers! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Cameron actually admitted to cheating. He defended himself by saying that he's not the only one. They are allowed to do one dolphin kick and he did three. The underwater camera footage clearly shows him doing it. Cameron wont lose the medal because swimming doesn't use video replay review (yet)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...0535--oly.html

6. Thank given for this post:

ChrisNG53 (11-Aug-12), Dave A (11-Aug-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Funny that neither Phelps or any of the other competitors made any comment or raised an objection. Any athlete will object to receiving silver or bronze rather than gold. If there was any cheating, they would have exposed it.

To compare "cheating" in swimming to what is going on in cricket is ludicrous. Cricket has become one of the most corrupt sports due to betting and the large amounts of money involved. This is ongoing and involves bookies, players and administrators. So much so, that one can not always believe the outcome of a game. More so in the shorter versions of the game.

8. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (11-Aug-12)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Come on guys lets not try to gloss over cheating and give it a complexion of acceptability. There is no dispute whatsoever that Cameron used an illegal kick. He admits it without qualification that is was illegal.
    He told the Sydney Morning Herald that he took extra kicks, but defends himself by insisting he's not the only one.
    ''If you're not doing it, you're falling behind," he said. "It's not obviously - shall we say - the moral thing to do, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my personal performance and four years of hard work for someone that is willing to do it and get away with it."
    So I call him as my witness in saying -- "It's not obviously - shall we say - the moral thing to do". If it is not the moral thing to do it means that it is "immoral", i.e, tainted with immoral turpitude, wrong, impermissible .. etc .. etc
    Now please distinguish this from the examples I have given about cheating in golf, me obtaining my Ph.d or an athlete using a banned substance. There will be differences of form, not substance.
    And with respect, the attitude that "truth is elusive", "in the eye of the beholder" .. etc . .is usually a refuge of those who seek reason and justification to deny it. Fortunately, in this instance, there can be no question of what is true and what is not true. The facts are common cause. We only have to decide whether or not, on the facts, Cameron cheated. He did. He admits it. He says he did it because others also do it. Nothing could be simpler.
    Had there been a timeous objection the IOC would have been forced to review the underwater camera footage and we would not have been having this conversation. He would have been disqualified.

On reconsideration, I accept that I am being too generous to Hansie on all the evidence. Concomitantly, in our "sheep" mode we are being quite fantastically accommodating of plain and simple cheating by Cameron because this farm needs heroes so badly it would appear.
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The "cheating" that you are referring to is taking advantage of a loophole in the rules. This is done in all competitive sport as the one who knows the rules best and play to the referee's interpretation thereof has an advantage over the ignorant. Rugby is an example of that.

Many world records were broken and medals won in full body suits, which obviously gave the swimmer and advantage over the one without one. This confirms what tec0 said about money for the right equipment. No swimmer without money for a tailor made full body suit would be able to compete against the ones that had.

The interpretation of the rules is technical and I am not an expert. I maintain that this was not blatant dishonesty and corruption as is the case with match fixing in soccer and cricket. If it was, the second and third placed swimmers would have objected. The Aussie press is trying to make a big thing out of nothing, because of their own poor performance and small haul of medals at the games. Ask yourself why no other reporters thought it newsworthy.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Well said Blurock. .......... its a loopehole and an objection should have been made within the proper timeline......... but true to form australia always tries to f**k it up for SA.

The bottom line is we took the gold home!

12. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (11-Aug-12)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    The "cheating" that you are referring to is taking advantage of a loophole in the rules. This is done in all competitive sport .....:
    With great respect there is no "loophole" here. No one has suggested it. Cameron has not claimed it. You need to provide support for this novel excuse. You are the first person to suggest that whether or not the kick was illegal is not covered by the rules of what is breast stroke.

The reality is that the "loophole" was the organically induced one, adverted to be Cameron, that others were also doing it. This may explain why there was no objection. Seems probable. The fact that there is general or widespread deviance about something does not constitute a "loophole".

This is the sort of excuse that we strongly pooh pooh and object to when advanced by our opulent lot at the top when they say "aah well the reason why I felt compelled to waste pubic funds and get myself another Merc 500SL, with bells and whistles, at enormous public expense, is because the rules are....." obfuscation .... rationalizations ... ducking diving about what is right and what is wrong. At least, with our beloved Ministers it IS a "loophole' in that the relevant protocol does not, in fact, expressly prohibit his/her ravenous appetite.

The kick used by Cameron was impermissible/illegal. Once he used it he was no longer doing breast stroke. He was cheating. If Phelps did not also use the kick, he was cheated out of the Gold. The swimmers who came 3rd and 4th were also cheated out of medals if they did not swim illegally. It is that simple.
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.