Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: light fittings

Suspended
    Thanks
    i heard about about an incident resently in kzn where apparentoly a young boy was killed in a fire caused by an electrical fault on side table lamp ...i was busy working in ahouse with old wiring...i had to replace the socket outlet...while securing the socket to the box i could smell something burning...next thing i knew there was smoke coming out the pipe...i quickly disconnected the power and pulled the wiring out...the old wiring had cracked shorted out and caught on fire..within minutes.

you cannot believe how fast the paint on the walls and curtains catch alight.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    So give us a few tips. Is it advisable to have multi plugs on an extension lead? How many appliances can I connect to one socket? Can I run a wire for my lamps under the carpet? Is it o.k. to use masking tape to connect the wires?

What should I look for when buying a multi plug for the kitchen so that I can have the fridge, kettle, toaster and microwave all plugged in permanently. Too much of a hassle to change plugs every time I want to boil water or make toast.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Suspended
    Thanks
    quite simply...appliances which draw low current...can be racked and stacked on multi plugs....but kettles...toasters...washing machines...TUMBLE DRIERS...etc must never be connected to a multi plug.

when i do kitchen revamps...i never run more than 2 sockets per circuit...tumble drier and washing machines are fitted with their own isolator...some might say its an overkill...i never get called back.

when purchasing multi plugs try find the one with a circuit breaker on the one side...or make get the one with a built in 10 amp overload protection...and when it trips dont just keep reseting it...understand that it is tripping for a reason.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (08-Aug-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    So give us a few tips. Is it advisable to have multi plugs on an extension lead? How many appliances can I connect to one socket? Can I run a wire for my lamps under the carpet? Is it o.k. to use masking tape to connect the wires?

What should I look for when buying a multi plug for the kitchen so that I can have the fridge, kettle, toaster and microwave all plugged in permanently. Too much of a hassle to change plugs every time I want to boil water or make toast.
    running twin flex under a carpet is a matter of common sense...thats like asking if you can run surfix across your driveway...it will work and for how long will be determined by the amount of traffic...

making electrical connection using masking tape or even electrical insulation tape is not advisable...there are small joint kits for extention cords...some even have a gell to fill the joints to make them weatherproof.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't ignore "burnt plastic" smells, no matter how faint. It's often the first indicator that some part of the electrical installation is taking strain. And it usually doesn't get better - it only gets worse once it's started.

Thanks
    Plastic insulation that's overheating often smells a bit like vrot vis.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It is scary to see how uneducated we are when it comes to electricity which may potentially kill you. The illegal connections in informal settlements is one example. Small kids trip over exposed wires and fires are often started because of bad connections.

We need a LOT of education on electrical safety.

Suspended
    Thanks
    actually not...what you need...is your elctrician who looks after your electrical installation...to do his/her job properly...thats what the sabs code is all about...it is not the consumer who is suppose to learn the regs....the other concern is the suppliers of non sabs products...which cause problems.

unfortunately it always boils to down to the price and regulation...if people buy the cheap junk and nobody is doing anything to police the industry...the supplier will just keep getting richer...the ratio of people who die from electrical faults...fires and electricution is not a concern...hence the lack of DOL inspectors.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I agree to get the best qualified guy to do the job. Unfortunately many people get a friend of a friend (who is not qualified) to do a half baked job. That is where the problems start.

Suspended
    Thanks
    another problem...contractors know that if they get into trouble and they memebers of the eca for example they are pretty untouchable...they have a R15000 workmanship guarentee which i am yet to hear of a cuatomer getting a cent...normally the proceedure...complain to eca...they contact the member and ask the contractor nicely to go fix his hashup...as i was told they are not there to police for the industry more to look after the best interest of the contractor...some people see the logo as quality assurance...mmm...no comment.

i work in the industry everyday...one thing i notice which stands out the most...old parts of an installation compared to newer installations and repairs...it is just getting worse...the newer the installtion or repair the worse it gets...people just dont have any pride in their work anymore...i was listening to a contractor a couple weeks ago...going on about how great his work is and how they do everything to the book...i had a look at just one of his installations...no comment again.

in the old days you climbed in the roof and straight away noticed the alarm wires all over the roof...just thrown across the roof...well nowadays you cant tell the difference between the alarm wires and electrical installation...some say it doesnt need to look neat because who looks in the roof space...all i can say...the rate electricians charge for their services...no wonder they do such kak work...you pay peanuts...you get monkeys.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123