Thread: The Government knows but do nothing?

Thanks

The Government knows but do nothing?

Excuse my butchering of the article in Business Day but I felt the emphasis in the original text was assaboutface and I have highlighted the 'elephant in the room' that Government is ignoring when it comes to 'Creating Jobs'
    Cheap accounting? or are they just going to use SMME's as guinea pigs

"Economic Development Minister Ebrahim Patel said at the launch of the initiative this week that the country needed to work together to create 5-million new jobs in the next eight years."

"He said 61% of people employed in the formal sector were employed in SMEs by entrepreneurs, who played a vital role in creating jobs. The government realised that to transform the economy, it was necessary to adopt a "pro-employment" approach."

"THE government has made available R6m for the training of unemployed accounting graduates in an initiative launched with the help of the accounting industry to provide back-office support to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)."

I am left breathless when they say things like "R6m initiative to train unemployed graduates" and further down they say "After undergoing training, students should be able to submit value-added tax and other tax returns, and compile basic financial statements."
    Spare me but wouldn't you think that a recently graduated student would not need training in how to fill in VAT and Income Tax forms or to compile a basic financial statement???? 'puhleeeeze' are these unemployed graduates or idiots they are talking about??
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Further to the article.
    If 61% of employees work in the SMME field, imagine what the % would be if they relaxed the employment rules vis a viz the hiring and firing of employees who don't shape up or who are a useless fit and the casual employees when needed.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So that's what is holding back SMME employment development and growth - they don't know how to fill out tax returns!

Government doesn't have a clue, does it.

No surprise given they way they manage S.A Gov (un)Ltd's finances.