Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealer application trade references

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Reputation is very important in business. If I was a supplier I would want to know whether you had any experience in the industry or with the type of products that I sell. Will you be able to service my clients/customers and will you be able to solve their problems?

How much do you really know about PC's and TV's? I would not risk selling my products to someone who could ruin my reputation by giving poor service or not giving back up to my customers.

Maybe you could give the suppliers some assurances along these lines.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advise Blurock will do.But that still brings me back to my question,how do you get a trade reference if you need one to register with a supplier and then use them as a trade reference?That's like saying a company only hires people with experience but the guys that need experience can't get any because the company only hires people that has experience(only an example).

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A Thousand mile journey begins with the first step.

Do big things when they are still small and difficult things when they are still easy. All big things were small once...
    Good luck!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by league_of_ordinary_men View Post
    back to my question,how do you get a trade reference if you need one to register with a supplier and then use them as a trade reference?That's like saying a company only hires people with experience but the guys that need experience can't get any because the company only hires people that has experience(only an example).
    A company has some personality in keeping with its owner. Perhaps give them personal references, if it is an account you're wanting open. Supplier would then probably get you to sign as surety for moneys owing by you company.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advise flaker will do.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    References usually refer to someone who will vouch for you with regard to a bit of history in paying your account on time.

They are usually obtained over time. Once you have been in business a while, suppliers will start to trust you with regard to payments and where they would initially demand payment before delivery, they may start eventually allowing you a few days to pay. This period can grow until you are paying on 30 days by agreement.

Another avenue is to open accounts for small amounts. Eg Stationery or office supplies. Sometimes these suppliers may take a chance and give you an account because the amounts are small. If you pay on time regularly, you can use them as references.

If you are renting premises, you can use your landlord as a reference.

But the whole point of a reference is that it shows them that you have a good track record over a period of time. Using this definition, beginners won't have one. Instead you have to slowly create and build a reputation as a good payer.

In your case "references" might not be about your credit record, but rather about your experience in the industry, in much the same way that you supply character references when you apply for a job.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (22-Jul-12)

Thanks
    Thanks BusFact your information is very insight fill and it gives a good point to work from.It's like I told the supplier thy can put me on a cash only account just to start and then we work from there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12