Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone betting on an interest rate decrease

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    ...or is it an attempt to stimulate the economy?
    The sarb controls the moneytary policy and a part of it is inflation targeting to be between 3-6%. When the economy slows down they try to stimulate it by cutting rates so people can take on more credit and increase inflation by increasing demand, if they don't do that and we start to get negative growth we will enter ressesion after two concequitive negative quarters which means cutting jobs and etc
    However that doesn't always work as Ian poined out, Japan have been in deflation for more than 20 years now and cutting rates to almost zero didn't help, I don't believe this will happen soon in SA, in developing economies it's easier to correct at least for now. The US are creating bigger and bigger bubble by printing more money, increasing their debt ceiling when their gdp is nowhere near their expenditure. Unfortunately the whole world is indebted and countries will carry on falling because of the whole system that is place, besides money is not backed by anything, inflation, interest and so on are money that don't exist, if they take all the money in the world there would still be debt because of the whole system so everything will fail with time, we going to move to moneyless system, we'll have microchips that will literally control us, this is coming and our children will suffer that while a few people will rule the world, it's a scary thought
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I doubt if this reduction in rates will stimulate the economy. What will stimulate the economy is when banks start giving loans for bonds and businesses and consumers start buying again.

In view of looming food inflation, rising energy prices (electricity and fuel) and increased add-on taxes for every little thing, I can not see people adding more debt to their existing burdens.

Now is a good time to pay off your debt while rates are low. Sadly our elderly pensioners who rely on investment income will be hardest hit.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    I doubt if this reduction in rates will stimulate the economy. What will stimulate the economy is when banks start giving loans for bonds and businesses and consumers start buying again.

In view of looming food inflation, rising energy prices (electricity and fuel) and increased add-on taxes for every little thing, I can not see people adding more debt to their existing burdens.

Now is a good time to pay off your debt while rates are low. Sadly our elderly pensioners who rely on investment income will be hardest hit.
    The banks will give credit because its cheaper to afford
    Pensioners will be hit because their retirement savings are kept mostly in cash, if they have someone looking after them in terms of investment advice then things are different
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12