Thread: reality check

Suspended
    Thanks

reality check

someone asked me for a budget price off the top of my head what it would cost to install one double socket outlet...didnt even think twice...R450 + vat...oooops...the bill came to R700 for labour + material for 1 plug and a piece of surfix 15 m long + the box and socket...havent done 1 plug in some time...boy did i get a wake up...in future someone asks...it will be R750 per point...for surface work and a little more if chased in.

well if you are an electrical company and charging R450 for a double socket outlet...it would mean you only charge about R120 an hour and are getting materials which are falling off the back of a truck

your labour rate in the elctrical industry at this point shouldnt be less than R400 ex vat and that would be a cheap rate...if you compare it to other industries like motor mechanics who charge around R700 per/hr if you take your vehicle to vw agents

lets hear what you are paying for plumbers...electricians...mechanics...at present per/hr

Thanks
    I think your rate is relevant to where you're positioned in the market as well as what type of electrical work you're doing. When you said you quoted R450.00 I laughed so hard I nearly dropped my red wine. To install a socket for R450 and even break even the guy would need to be within walking distance as well as supplying the materials and tools to do the job. What were you thinking?

Thanks
    That was a nice booobooo. We sub our electical points out and our rate from the subbie's average price to us is R900-00 for 20 meter (Negotiable)
    Traveling = R5-50 per km outside the 30km radius. Depending on scope needed, Price can go down to R550-00 per point.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i dont normally price per point...i have a xl spreadsheet which allows me to add components which claculates everything adds the markup for material gives me a total inc vat...i never gives prices off the top of my head...heard that famous saying too many times...i wont hold you to that price...just need to get an idea...yeah right...what i normally do is give some ridiculous price like R2000 a point then with that figue in the persons head...when you send the bill for R900...it is easier to get your money...anyway that wont happen again in a hurry...back to my R2000 price.

5. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (11-Jul-12), mikilianis (10-Jul-12)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    i dont normally price per point...i have a xl spreadsheet which allows me to add components which claculates everything adds the markup for material gives me a total inc vat...i never gives prices off the top of my head...heard that famous saying too many times...i wont hold you to that price...just need to get an idea...yeah right...what i normally do is give some ridiculous price like R2000 a point then with that figue in the persons head...when you send the bill for R900...it is easier to get your money...anyway that wont happen again in a hurry...back to my R2000 price.
    If this was Facebook I would be pushing the "Like" button Lol
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    If this was Facebook I would be pushing the "Like" button Lol
    It's there - see image below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	like-button.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	2694

Also, the Thanks button is kinda multi-purpose and includes recognising posts you really appreciate if you don't want to drag Facebook into the mix