Thread: Educating your client on a niche product.

Thanks

Educating your client on a niche product.

Hi Guys,

We have developed a pretty unique concept (not brand new, but also not that broadly-used) in South Africa. The company is called www.flipbookcafe.com and basically what we offer is software that converts any pdf into an interactive page-turning flipbook, which the user can either imbed in their website, or use the link generated. Our software is pretty much ahead of most flipbook providers as its designed in html5 - thus its tablet friendly - it can also auto-detect outdated browsers or operating systems and then switch to flash. The user can completely manage the process themselves (as opposed to waiting on third parties) and the product is much cheaper. We also offer the product for free for 6 months, however there are some limitations.

Anyway, there is more info on the website. The problem we are having is marketing it (with no to slim budget) whilst educating the masses because locally not many people even know what it is. The google keywords tool is proof of this.

What we have done so far:

Facebook (page and advertising)
    Youtube
    Google adwords (limited)
    we have submitted it to coolhomepages.com and received an award (thats a biggin)
    we have marketed it on the 5fm fresh drive "mind your own business slot"
    Twitter
    Pinterest (not ideal but its something)
    All the free classifieds (online)

Anything else? Or any comments on the product? We are not doing too bad and have quite a few users but its not anywhere near where it should be (of course, we have only started marketing it recently).

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
    B

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Have you compared your traffic stats to your conversions?

My feeling is that your home page isn't very well optimised for conversion - it's too bare and doesn't really address a problem of the visitor.

Highlight a problem by pointing out its effects on the visitors' emotions, present your problem as the solution, then call to action.

Perhaps some prominently displayed credibility enhancers would be good to. Any big names tried and tested your product? Put some testimonials up there.

Just my feeling - if I hit your home page I'm not really enticed to look for anything else.

Thanks
    Just like Mark said, your home page has no content on it. In order for Google to find your website relevant, you need to provide information to your consumers. Google can't tell if the images are informative enough, so they need to see hard text and that will be one of the factors determining your relevance to their searchers.

I see that your images currently don't have ALT tags inside them. While not as important as your main content, this is the information google uses to determine image relevance, so you need to add ALT tags with relevant keywords.

As for your keywords, you should target what your consumers will search for. For example I wouldn't look for "Flipbook". I would search more along the lines of "online magazine" or "create online magazine". The idea is to try and think like your consumer.

You have a great social media profile so this will help your brand awareness. But these need to be more prominent on your home page. Visitors need to see that you have other platforms and there is life outside of the website.

You say you have a demo version so you need to create an attractive call to action on your home page showing visitors that they can enquire about a demo. For some good examples of brilliant call to action's take a look at websites like SEOmoz and Hootsuite. They have awesome call to actions for sigining up or inquiring.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Mark Atkinson (05-Jul-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quite right, Rod.

It's a pity we haven't finished redesigning our own website just yet - it highlights everything that Rod and I have spoken about.

Remember, getting traffic to your website is one thing. Converting that traffic into sales is a whole other school of fish.

Thanks
    Thanks for the input guys - we will certainly consider everything! A fresh perspective goes a long way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    Quite right, Rod.

It's a pity we haven't finished redesigning our own website just yet - it highlights everything that Rod and I have spoken about.

Remember, getting traffic to your website is one thing. Converting that traffic into sales is a whole other school of fish.
    Very true. None of this is a cut and dry science. Lots of varying factors

Quote Originally Posted by belladancer View Post
    Thanks for the input guys - we will certainly consider everything! A fresh perspective goes a long way.
    Definitely. I hope it goes well.

Thanks
    You may also want to watch out for this site: http://www.issuu.com/

They offer your service for free to a point.