Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charge for serious disrespect

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SSS100 View Post
    thanks guys

i charged him with gross insubordination and gross insolence
    he refused to do the delivery stating that he did most of that route before and other drivers did less of that route
    but that was because those orders came while other trucks were out and he was available, otherwise no driver has a dedicated truck or route
    i schedule as per truck and driver availability

i got an independent person to chair the hearing next week

I'm tired of this guy, how do u employ a driver and he wants to tell u how he wants to work?
    this country is not business friendly at all
    Using a independent person is the correct way. Always ensure that the senior person if involved with the case, never do the hearing. IE: Supervisor, Manager,Foreman etc.

Ensure all procedures are followed to the point. The CCMA rule fast against you if there is any discrepency in followed procedures. ( Let me know, I have them somewhere on hard copy and will scan them if you do not have the standard procedure)

The Two charges are serious.

Insubordinate (Rebellious) behaviour. 1st Offense = Final Written Warning = 2nd offense = Dismissal
    Insolence or Refusal to obey lawfully instructions or Insulting behaviour. 1st Offense = Final Warning. 2nd Offense = Dismissal
    Refusal to work other than Procedural Strike. 1st Offense = Dismissal

I am not sure about the size of your company, but would suggest you nominate a person with a good general nature as the Appeal Chair person. This person can even override the MD of the company when he feel any disciplinary action was not fair. The person that received any disciplinary action against him, have the right to appeal against it to a higher authority in the company. (Normally keep the top management out of this as they might have vested interest in any action taken) The Appeal Chair person, then call for a new meeting and all parties involved in the original action must state their case and want transpired and why they decided on disciplinary action taken. The Appeal Chair person must be 100% look at both sides equally. Then without any interference from any party (Even the highest sitting director can be over ridden) he must make a fair decision if the disciplinary action stay or if it get reversed to a lesser action. Even if it mean that back payment need to be paid.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Company is small, we have a operations controller and 2 directors...myself and a female collegue being directors

The a controller that does the scheduling and operations (we also help in the functions due to small structure)
    The trick here is that we were all involved, the driver first spoke to the operations controller, then the female director and was lastly transfered to me
    The person to chair has dealt with ccma matters before

Now, based on what u raised above, it brings one thing in mind?
    Who will represent the company? All 3 people in management were involved in the matter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SSS100 View Post
    Company is small, we have a operations controller and 2 directors...myself and a female collegue being directors

The a controller that does the scheduling and operations (we also help in the functions due to small structure)
    The trick here is that we were all involved, the driver first spoke to the operations controller, then the female director and was lastly transfered to me
    The person to chair has dealt with ccma matters before

Now, based on what u raised above, it brings one thing in mind?
    Who will represent the company? All 3 people in management were involved in the matter
    In this case, based on the size of your company, appointing an appeal Chair person will not be in your interest.

The thing here is, when the employee is found guilty, he must have the right to appeal. Following procedure, you can give him 5 or 10 working Days to submit his appeal. ( His full rights must be explained to him, otherwise he can have a field Day at CCMA) CCMA is actually not unfair, but they always try and look after the employee's interest first. They are goverment and must show they look out for the labor force.

S the employee's actions was directly to wards the directors and not just another employee or supervisor, his case is much more severe.

At the end it might all end up at CCMA, so I wouldn't want to give you advice from my experience and what I would do although I was at CCMA about 40 odd times and walked out with the cases thrown out. Only on 3 cases we had to cough up a little.

As long as you follow the procedures 100% then you should not have a problem.

Contact these guys, I used them for about 8 Years. They actually take all the load off you and you can spend your time on your business, not with people who do not want to work and think you owe them.

Cofesa Head Office
    Tel (011) 679-4373
    Fax (011) 679-4393
    Email: info@cofesa.co.za
    Physical address: Gable Office Estate, C/O Tennis & J.G. Strijdom Rd, Suite 9, Weltevredenpark, 1079

Phone them, they will explain everything to you. If you use one of their people to come and do the Meeting, it will cost you around R1500-00. The thing is they ensure you don't have a problem afterward. They can also represent you with a different person at CCMA if it come to that.

For future I am not sure what they would charge you for annual membership, but I used to pay R2000-00 per Year with a staff of 40. As far as I know they have some special price structure for companies with less than 10 People.

Give them a ring, at least they can give you more accurate advice with your urgent situation.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Great, thanks a lot for the info
    I will ring them on monday

Have a good one guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12