Thread: Booked off 4 days for a "Blue Eye"

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Booked off 4 days for a "Blue Eye"

Guidance please whilst I take control of my boiling blood.
    A staff member presents a Doctors Note dated 20 June advising they are unfit to work from 19 June to 22 June for reasons of "Assault Left Blue Eye". Turns out that Boetie got into a fight with his girlfriend and the staff member got in the way.

4 days for a "Blue Eye"???!!! And she expects us to pay her Sick leave for the absence.
    Legally I think we are probably obliged to just accept the Doctors judgement on this BUT on principle I feel I shouyldn't have to.
    Particularly because it doesnt appear to have been a major incident. No fractures no eye injury of any note.

Legal guidance would be sincerely appreciated in this matter.

Thanks
    Even doctors professional judgment can be called into question! At best, you can phone the doctor and rightfully enquire for your own records how exactly does this individual's blue eye impact on his duties. You can also rightfully enquire whether 4 days was excessive. At worst you can file a complaint with the Health professional council. Unless this individula's tasks directly involve eyesight such as driving or operating dangerous machinery, I'm of the layman's opinion that this doctor erred in professional judgment. I am a lay person to the field of medicine, but I recall that even when i had a severe sinusitis infection i.e red, inflamed throat, high fever, general weakness and sever headache the doctor only booked me off for one day!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input Vanash.

This particular Dr is regularly visited by our Staff and many others as well. It's not the first time I've raised my eyebrows at the reason for absenteeism and the reasons therefor, but this one truly takes 1st Prize.

I'm tempted to go to him on the pretence of being a patient and then confronting him with the Doctors Note and a few questions. I've tried phonong before but he is always busy with patients, so you end up speaking with the assistant who cant provide answers.

If he had asked the questions and she had been truthful, he would have determined that neither her duties nor her safety are in any way impacted by a "Blue Eye".
    I would have accepted 1, at a push 2 days, but 4 is ridiculous beyond the extreme.

Can you provided any guidance on what our statutory labour law obligations are in this instance?