Thread: Why do google all of a sudden put high value on social signals.?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Why do google all of a sudden put high value on social signals.?

Quote Originally Posted by dfsa View Post
    An interesting TOPIC would be: Why do goolge all of a sudden put high value on social signals.? This would be a good debate.
    It makes sense that social links and signals are of high value now days. Firstly most social links are not permanent. This would require constant social engagement every day to create a constant flow of inbound social links. Google would value this since you cannot just place a link forever and leave it at that.

Secondly in todays world, social media networking is massive. There are millions of people using social media platforms today. People respond better to a 'friends' recommendation of a website or product as opposed to other reviews available online. This means that a social link is much more valuable since it is most likely a valued review by a genuine person, not link spammed 2 years ago.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    It makes sense that social links and signals are of high value now days. Firstly most social links are not permanent. This would require constant social engagement every day to create a constant flow of inbound social links. Google would value this since you cannot just place a link forever and leave it at that.

Secondly in todays world, social media networking is massive. There are millions of people using social media platforms today. People respond better to a 'friends' recommendation of a website or product as opposed to other reviews available online. This means that a social link is much more valuable since it is most likely a valued review by a genuine person, not link spammed 2 years ago.

I hope this makes sense.
    Yes sure that make sense. Remember this is Google that we talk about. Why would they want to use social signals. They would want you to think as you just mentioned. In real terms google do not like Facebook as facebook are now very close to surpass them on traffic. Google tryed to buy facebook and the answer was no. When Youtube became a threat to google, they were bought out.

Now google can not just go and not take facebook out their serp model they will be sued. They are now looking to strengthen their own social platform. G+. It is all about keeping their advertisers and not loose them to Facebook

This is just a view, think about the real reason why!

Thanks
    In real terms google do not like Facebook as facebook are now very close to surpass them on traffic.
    I know it's just a view, but I don't think Google are going to not count Facebook links just to spite them. Facebook provides a genuine source of relevant links and Google needs Facebook as a source

They are now looking to strengthen their own social platform. G+. It is all about keeping their advertisers and not loose them to Facebook
    I agree with that though. Google wants more people to engage using G+, so openly saying that G+ give stronger social links, would definitely increase use of G+. I'm not sure if they have mentioned that in any press relases but it would certainly help.