Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do google all of a sudden put high value on social signals.?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I understand that, but what I meant was that Google won't stop using Facebook as a source of relevant links. I'm not too sure about this but I don't think Facebook Ads count as do-follow links.

No one could sue them in any case. There are still 10 results on the first page, not including the featured results. As the owner of a search engine, you can display your results anywhere on the page. The truth of the matter is you don't pay anything to Google with regards to your organic listing, so they don't even have to index you if they don't feel like it. They are doing your website a favor by listing you. As for paying advertisers, they have to be guaranteed a place since they pay for those positions.
    MMMM it is a search engine and they just changed the top position as and when it suit them. Now If they do something like that to facebook, they will be in for a long battle. Yahoo and Bing did not merge for no reason. Google hit Bing a few Year ago on some infringements. Now they have to fight that side too. Bing is busy with some big things for the future.

Thanks
    I noticed that Bing are going more social with the social sidebar in their search engine. I think the reason is that Microsoft have just bought a social media platform (here). Can you see the trend?

Google will never ever buy or merge with Facebook. Mark is too proud of Facebook to sell it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I would just like to point out the fact that Google only displays ads above the SERPS if it deems the landing pages to be extremely relevant to the search term as well as of sufficient quality. If you're not 100% trusted, you end up on the side, not the top.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But we must also remember that this is Google's 4th attempt at a social media platform (1st Google Wave, 2nd Orchid, 3rd Google Buzz, and now it's Google+ ).
    Add blogspot to that list. OK - perhaps not a total failure, but just try putting a link to any blogspot blog in an email and see what happens. Blogspot's online reputation stinks (because it's been hammered by scrapers, link stuffers and outright fraudsters). It's as credible as having a Yahoo! email account.

They must have some sort of plan of action to get G+ off the ground and I believe it will be with the use of the SEO industry.
    It certainly sounds like it - clicking a G+ "like" button is supposed to be a "plus 1" vote for search and result in higher SERPS. But just like anything else contrived so far, it'll have the ring ripped out of it soon enough and become worthless too. The surest way to screw up Google+ would be to link it to a special SEO benefit. It'll go the same way as blogspot.

The key to successful social media is establishing and maintaining a healthy culture in that community. Google+ may get big, but it'll be 90% meaningless junk (or more) if there is inadequate leadership establishing a healthy culture. Trying to get the SEO crowd on board would be the last place I'd start - it's a seriously unruly mob just looking for plunder for the most part. (Present company excluded, of course )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    The key to successful social media is establishing and maintaining a healthy culture in that community.
    I agree with you 100%. Google wants natural so the only way to build a successful SMO campaign is to go natural. Engagement with your community, quality content and a solid plan for the future.

Trying to get the SEO crowd on board would be the last place I'd start - it's a seriously unruly mob just looking for plunder for the most part. (Present company excluded, of course )
    Amen to that

Thanks
    Add blogspot to that list. OK - perhaps not a total failure, but just try putting a link to any blogspot blog in an email and see what happens. Blogspot's online reputation stinks (because it's been hammered by scrapers, link stuffers and outright fraudsters). It's as credible as having a Yahoo! email account.

It certainly sounds like it - clicking a G+ "like" button is supposed to be a "plus 1" vote for search and result in higher SERPS. But just like anything else contrived so far, it'll have the ring ripped out of it soon enough and become worthless too. The surest way to screw up Google+ would be to link it to a special SEO benefit. It'll go the same way as blogspot.

The key to successful social media is establishing and maintaining a healthy culture in that community. Google+ may get big, but it'll be 90% meaningless junk (or more) if there is inadequate leadership establishing a healthy culture. Trying to get the SEO crowd on board would be the last place I'd start - it's a seriously unruly mob just looking for plunder for the most part. (Present company excluded, of course )
    With the latest google changes, it is amaizing, that allot of platforms was penalized, but not much or any was penalized on blogspot. The site that is on Pos: 1 with Norri's keyword has major spam links from blogspot. mmmmm Trying to get in the mind of google.

The SEO crowd are mostly a unrully mob, you have that one on the Head. When they start with Blackhat/Whitehat well just always ask them one question: What is Blackhat/Whitehat.. You will most of the time find they can not explain it in detail, because they will contradict themself.

Thanks
    Very interesting thread Rod, dfsa, Mark and Dave Enjoying seeing this sort of high-level IM talk on TFSA! Normally I only get to see this on WarriorForum and then it's usually not that relevant to me and my ZA sites.
    Norio De Sousa - Just1.co.za (Cheap web hosting & website builder)
    Maxiware CC Reg no. 2000/048244/23 (Maxiware CC)

8. Thanks given for this post:

dfsa (28-Jun-12)

Thanks
    Thanks Norri

So I've been doing some research and noticed that Google is aiming to personalize each search according to a persons Google+ account, assuming you are signed into gmail at the time of the search. Each circle you are in will influence your search results and your searches and clicks will influence other people in your circles, depending on the keyword/industry.

Thanks
    Thanks Norri

So I've been doing some research and noticed that Google is aiming to personalize each search according to a persons Google+ account, assuming you are signed into gmail at the time of the search. Each circle you are in will influence your search results and your searches and clicks will influence other people in your circles, depending on the keyword/industry.
    You are 100% correct there. In fact google has been doing that for a long time by logging the IP were the search come from, then when that IP do a similar search, they would put give preference to pages that the IP visited before. People tend to visit their own websites regularly, and then do a keyword search to see where their site is in the SERPS their site very often then appear on the first page.

Clearing cache and cookies help most of the time, but the IP can still return results that google deem you are more interested in. This is why it is quite important to search with crome in " incognito " mode when searching for your site in the serps. Another way is to use Proxies

Thanks
    Hi there - very interesting stuff here - to better understand Google and where they are going is to read up on www.zeromomentoftruth.com. I have been following some of the seo webinars from the last Affiliate Summit and interesting enough is that they all say that they do not really care where a link comes from as long as it is natural.

We tend to get too technical on seo and building links instead of just focusing on relevant and authoritive links. I have been following the advice on one of my new sites and the results have been amazing. Google is not there to hammer websites and webmasters - all they are concerned with is "user experience". When you see the bigger picture and it starts making sense, Google will become your biggest friend (and pension provider).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast