Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Contract Manufacturing (Shoes) in China, how?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    My first impulse to this thread was 'The Unions forced the retailers to use cheaper imported products'
    But on reflection, it seems the retailers are chasing one another to buy and import cheaper and cheaper crap and then try to skin us by selling it as if it is the same as the quality stuff they used to supply. That is starting to backfire and backlash.
    Although the unions are militant and obstructive, they are not the ones to blame. I have first hand experience of a retailer announcing that they buy up to 80% from local suppliers, but they sent their buyer(s) to China to accompany the importer so that they could do their own selections.(and I know this was general practice amongst the others as well).

If we analyse the increase in profits made by the major chains in the past 8-10 years, the only conclusion we can reach is that they have not passed the profit from cheap imports on to the consumer or their staff, but paid it out to managers and directors.

In the process of enriching themselves, they have ruined an entire industry and have caused hardship and social problems to hundreds of thousands of our people. This why am am so much opposed to cheap imports at all cost.

Are you happy with your chap imported shirt that fades after the first wash? Are you happy to pay more taxes to support social programs for the jobless? Not all imports are wrong, as we can not compete on all fronts. If you have to import, at least be responsible and think of the consequences of your actions. Put South Africa and its people first, not your greed.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

2. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (08-Jul-12)

Thanks
    I think a bumper sticker.
    "Why pay a high price for cheap imports from Woolies, Eddies, Mr P etc. when you can get the same thing at a lower price from your local 'Chinatown?'"
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

4. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (09-Jul-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    I think a bumper sticker.
    "Why pay a high price for cheap imports from Woolies, Eddies, Mr P etc. when you can get the same thing at a lower price from your local 'Chinatown?'"
    Because they employ locals, pay tax and generally adhere to local standards and legislation. Quality is not only CCS.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wynn does have a point, though.

I've been debating commenting on one particular product for a while now - and maybe now is the time.

As our office has grown, I've been a steady buyer of multiplugs over the last few years - and essentially I keep buying the same item each time.

Well, it's been the same packaging, the same price (allowing for inflation) and unless you took a close look at the small markings, you'd swear it was the same product.

But the batch I bought about 6 months ago had a major problem - you couldn't get two prong plugs into the two prong points - on any of them. A closer look and comparison, and quite clearly it was intended to be the same product, but there had been a change in manufacturer, and the difference in quality was quite noticeable.

Cheap and nasty knock-off, no doubt. Same branding and the same price.

Needless to say, the last one of this brand I'll be buying...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

Well, it's been the same packaging, the same price (allowing for inflation) and unless you took a close look at the small markings, you'd swear it was the same product.

But the batch I bought about 6 months ago had a major problem - you couldn't get two prong plugs into the two prong points - on any of them. A closer look and comparison, and quite clearly it was intended to be the same product, but there had been a change in manufacturer, and the difference in quality was quite noticeable.

Cheap and nasty knock-off, no doubt. Same branding and the same price.

Needless to say, the last one of this brand I'll be buying...
    It would be interesting to know where this product is manufactured. No quality control, cheap materials? Does it comply with local regulations? Mainly, is it safe?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234