Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: credit card

Thanks
    something to consider in this particular case... Get sms notifications enabled for your account. I had a particularly interesting incident when I swiped at a woolworths. the girl behind the counter said the transaction had failed, so we went through the process again... bam... double debit. Fortunately the woolworths system is attuned to this kind of error and before I could get in a rage, I found that the second debit had been refunded.
    Banks are meant to keep an eye on your interests, sure, but I'd say it's also your duty to keep an even bigger eye on it.

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (28-Jun-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    standard bank i get sms...absa the credit card sucks...you battle to download a statement...never mind trying to get an sms...i am suprised absa are not still using bank books.

Thanks
    I have experienced that in a situation such as this you wil recieve an SMs notification if you normally do - that says the amouthas gone through twice - or two amounts then - if it was just a "mistake" then the money was not actually debited from your account - if it were it would show on the merchants banking slip from that specific speedpoint machine - you should get a "rectifying" SMS notification indicating that the amount has been placed "back" into your account - In order for the transaction to go through legitimately you HAVE to put your Pin in - and it WILL print a slip - if you ever swipe your card and enter your pin - and the person helping asks for your pin again - and you DID NOT receive a TRANSACTION FAILED Slip- ALWAYS ASK FOR A REPRINT OF THE LAST TRANSACTION to check whether it went trhough.

Email problem
    Thanks
    You should ask for a reprint of the WHOLE days transactions to see if there was two amounts deducted...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaffold View Post
    You should ask for a reprint of the WHOLE days transactions to see if there was two amounts deducted...
    Clearly you dont bank with absa.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Clearly you dont bank with absa.
    Meaning to request the merchant to do a Manual Bank on his speedpoint machine - which will show all the transactions of that day - and you will also be able to see if the money went through and if was then rejected and subtracted from the total amount banked - which will show you wether it was the merchant or the Bank or you who is in error.

This is not too much trouble for them - it will have to be done by the manager of the Store/Garage/Restaurant and should require a Supervisor Card and/or Code - but can be done (as far as I know).

Email problem
    Thanks
    Its not the bank but the speedpoint.."Fastnet" is the real problem. They register the transaction before its officialy done, then they send an sms to the bank who then send you an sms saying the transaction is done...seconds later it loses connection or whatever and the transaction has not been completed. Wel thats how I have experienced it.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (23-Nov-12)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12