Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think She Stand a Chanse For Top Ten

Thanks

Do you think She Stand a Chanse For Top Ten

Hi

My daughter entered a TV Presenter audition for Top Billing. It is similar to something like idols.

Everybody can go to the auditions and the top price is to become the newest presenter for the program.

My daughter, now are in the Top 30. The program has loaded the top 100 hopefulls on youtube.

Have a look and let me know what you think. Do You think She stand a chanse for the Top Ten?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjHJetx_lac

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Honest opinion - No.

She tries too hard. Her voice comes across as being stilted because she anuciates each word. Her hand movements also seem unnatural, as if it is rehearsed. She must not think about her actions, the thinking gets in the way of the fluidity.

The problem is that the person needs to be at ease and their voice and movements must be natural. Look at how ballerinas move, the good ones just seem to glide, their movements are fluid. This fluidity comes through practice, it happens when the movements are second nature. The same with speaking, you need to be able to speak to the camera as if you are speaking to a friend. I think that one could try to rehearse it by having a friend or family member standing right behind the camera looking at you just over the top of the camera. She should then just have a excited but natural conversation (as if she really likes whatever she is talking about and really wants to tell the friend about it)

Anyhow, my 20c worth...

Thanks
    Shame man, she's very nervous but I think she's very good for what it's worth. Good luck to her, it's certainly a prestigious job.

Thanks
    It is a nerve wrecking audition to do, and she handled the stress of the moment very well. She comes across a bit like a toast-master, however, (having sat through many of those competitions). Nothing wrong with that approach for speeches, but not quite right for TV. Head needs to be held more steady, less arm movements ... and I agree with AdrianH about making it more about speaking to a friend.

Well done for getting this far ... and as she gets more exposure, she will get better and better at it.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    I think she handled it very well. Very mature for a 22 year old. Good luck to her, you must be a very proud dad! Whether she makes it or not, it is already a huge achievement being top 30 and already something which could be put on a CV if she plans on pursuing this as a career.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    @dfsa - my criticism is harsh I know. I have two daughters who partake in competitive sport and my eldest daughter takes acting classes. The thing is, your daughter has one change to get her dream job, unless people tell her now what the issues are while she has the time to practice she will miss the oppertunity. This is not the time to beat around the bush, it is time to face facts and practise, practise practise...

My daughters are both excellent at ice skating at the one is great at horse riding because their instructors call it as they see it. The horse riding instructress is an 87 year old spinster who holds no punches. My youngest daughter wins horse riding competions for the exact same reason. My daughter hold her with the highest regard especially whenshe stands with medal in hand.

I wish her all the best but she must rehearse, rehearse, rehearse until it is second nature.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Hi dfsa - I think she comes across as quite mature for 22. I think she did very well. Obviously it is a nerve racking experience, but she handled it very well.

If you compare her to that donkey Ursula who is one of the presenters - she is much better than Ursula. Ursula is way over the top and really acts like a horse !!

Well done.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    @dfsa - my criticism is harsh I know. I have two daughters who partake in competitive sport and my eldest daughter takes acting classes. The thing is, your daughter has one change to get her dream job, unless people tell her now what the issues are while she has the time to practice she will miss the oppertunity. This is not the time to beat around the bush, it is time to face facts and practise, practise practise...
    Hi adrianh, no offence taken. The reason for aking everybody to look is purely to see what you guys think, whether positive,negative or hard fact criticism. Obviousely we most probebly look at it from a little biased perspective. Your points and facts give me a diffirent angle to look at it. Thanks for that! Your comments are respected.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Shame man, she's very nervous but I think she's very good for what it's worth. Good luck to her, it's certainly a prestigious job.
    Hi AndyD, Thanks for your view and word of encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    It is a nerve wrecking audition to do, and she handled the stress of the moment very well. She comes across a bit like a toast-master, however, (having sat through many of those competitions). Nothing wrong with that approach for speeches, but not quite right for TV. Head needs to be held more steady, less arm movements ... and I agree with AdrianH about making it more about speaking to a friend.

Well done for getting this far ... and as she gets more exposure, she will get better and better at it.
    Hi Mike, Thanks for looking. Yes the Toast Master thing, I mentioned that to her as it originate from her school Days. She was in the public speaking and debating teams since she was 9 Years old. The arm movements in public speaking is quite powerfull, depending on the topic. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrichor View Post
    I think she handled it very well. Very mature for a 22 year old. Good luck to her, you must be a very proud dad! Whether she makes it or not, it is already a huge achievement being top 30 and already something which could be put on a CV if she plans on pursuing this as a career.
    Hi Petrichor, Thanks for looking. Yes we are extremely proud of her. We never push our children into anything and always let them decide what they want to do or try. We then just give them all the support possible. She has acheived quite allot in her short life. Other than her achievements at school. She got her PPL at 17/18, She graduated last Year in Communications & Media and are currently busy with her Honors. The Univarsity offered her a scolarship/bursary for her Honors and for next Year for her Masters. They also offered her a permanent position at the varsity where she now currently work fulltime and study. In the mean time she do a diploma course in Event Management from a different institution.

I think she simply just got up one morning after the Capetown auditions started already, and decided she is going to audition for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    Hi dfsa - I think she comes across as quite mature for 22. I think she did very well. Obviously it is a nerve racking experience, but she handled it very well..
    Thanks Kevin, I can tell you one thing, the first audition for Joburg/Gauteng was done Two Weeks ago at Wanderers Cricket Stadium. I believe some contestants slept there overnight to be first in the queues ( Personally I would have just made a U Turn ) Milissa casually went there after +/- 11:30, picked the shortest queu and did her first 1 minute audition. After the 1 minute They then gave her a random topic to talk about. From then onwards they phone to come again and so on.

Luckily she is a open minded person and will not stress about it if she do not get into the next round. The nerve thing, oh yes that will eat everybody.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Please keep us updated.

Thanks
    Hi DFSA - thanks for getting back to us, and particularly for giving us a bit of a background on your children. Congratulations to you ... you have obviously done (still doing?) a fine job. It warms my heart to see young people just getting out there and going for it. We were much more "conservative" when I was younger - or maybe it was just me.

Please keep us updated, we would love to hear how it goes.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast