Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Web sites?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KimH View Post
    Am I reading this correctly? No more than R400 for a full 5 page website? A yola site or similiar perhaps! Seriously do you have any idea what goes into developing a website? (content aside)
    Hi Kimh, NO I do not know what I am talking about, I am completely ignorent. Read my whole post, then answer accordingly.

@Kevinb asked what he should pay for a website (No other info). I for sure do not want him to run into 80% of the SA services where they are going to charge him R5000-00 to R20000-00 for a 5 Page site, then add R1000-00 for his domain and to top it ask him R100-00 to R200-00 PM for hosting. I also would not want to see a person paying R1000-00 to R5000-00 for a wordpress CMS with a free template and no plug-in licenses

When I am networking, I am shocked time and again at what people get charged, then to top it their sites do not even come close to getting any traffic.

One example: A furniture company contacted me the other day, they have paid R25k PA total R50k for the last 2 Years for their website, where they were gaurenteed 80 clicks per Month!!!! Again a simple 5 page site with one product page (Photo Gallary) The site was not even properly indexed. Geeeez with R25k 5page site I will gaurentee at least 500-1000 monthley Targeted visitors.

It is simple people in our Country get ripped off everywhere and believe me when those trained sales people sit in front of their target, they can sell sunshine to you.

Another example: One person was ready to buy pages from xxxx top provider the other day at R2500-00 per Month. I contacted them on behalf of this person, they could not give me any keywords they are going to target for this persons business niche nor could they gaurentee organic traffic from google... Ripp off galore.

Suspended
    Thanks
    ok dfsa ...... where are you ? ..... what is your e mail ? ---- or can you perhaps drop me an e mail at tack@iburst.co.za and we can discuss this and get the ball rolling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    Now we are talking ........ I would like about 4 or 5 pages - I will supply content - I do want traffic ie from keywords eg if you google electric fencing sandton . I do not need a shopping cart.

The other website I need is for another company which would be similar to this one.
    Hi Kevinb

I thought so. Check with your internet service provider, they normally offer webspace with the service. A Five page site should not be a problem with them. Later as you grow, then you can go to a higher hosting package. You most propbebly will find you can register a domain with them also for no extra cost. If they charge you around R75-00 to R100-00 for the domain per annum, then it is a fair price. In the event that they charge you R150-00 to R1000-00 per annum for your domain, then send them to the hot place.

For a standard 5 page site, you can actually do it yourself as is is basically point and click espacially if you use wordpress as you CMS. Your host will have plenty free templates for you.

In your case from your requirement you also would like to rank in the serps. This change a little on costing for you.Now you will need to do some SEO. Your keyword phrase "electric fencing sandton" ooooouuuuccchhh. Most website services out there will eat you up for breakfast on this phrase. They will get you on first page in a few weeks no problem and they are going to charge you. Again no problem you would say, as that is what you want, but sorry to burst your bubble buddy, what they will not always tell you is that phrase is not searched for. You will be lucky if you get 10 visitors per Month from that phrase. Now one they proof to you that you are on fist page, that is when they hit you more, now they find other easy phrases and charge you for that too.

When somebody gaurentee you first page be very carefull, in fact stay away from them as nobody can give that gaurentee. If they do a gaurentee then let them sign a reverse gaurentee from you. They must refund you double your money if they can not get you there and keep you there.

Now back to your 5 page site. Your cost should be as I mentioned in the post above. The only real other cost should be your graffics if you require branding for your site. This should be R300-R600. If you supply the logo/graffics, then they should only charge you for re-sizing and maybe changing the format. If you need intensive graffics then get 3 qoutes. One from the entity building the site and 1 each from other sources. You will be shocked at what people ask for graffics, yet standard graffics should be as mentioned above.

Traffic I always suggest to do performance based agreements, otherwise you can quickly find yourself in a deep hole with no real results. Traffic = sales=profit. It is extremely related to ROI. If you spend 1k then you need to have a return on that spend. If you pay a proffesional then they must produce from the start. They must not turn to you and tell you that split testing etc must be done first. Therefore my reason for performance based agreement.

You can feel free to let me know if you would be interested: I will build you site for free inclusive of a domain ( belonging to you), but you must host your site with us at R95-00 per Month with minnimum 6 Month signup, there after you can keep it at Monthley no contract basis.

Keyword research; We do a standard keyword research package for +/- R500-00 depending on your requirement ( Start off will be +/- R200). As your new domain needs to age a little before you will see good ranking for competitive keywords, we work with you to rank for low competition first. All our ranking/traffic is performance based.

We will not disscuss the keywords and ranking in the public forum as we do not want your competitors to get your info. They can research it themself. That info belong to you, especially if you start ranking in the SERPS.

I assume by looking at your sig that the 2 sites you need is related to T.A.C.K Security. That is a very competitive niche, but it seem at this point that there are space for competition. Especially after the new alogorithm that google rolled out in March and April. Many top sites there are dropping off regularly and they battle to get back to the top...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    ok dfsa ...... where are you ? ..... what is your e mail ? ---- or can you perhaps drop me an e mail at tack@iburst.co.za and we can discuss this and get the ball rolling.
    Hi Kevin

Sorry, I did not see the above post. I answered your post on the first page. I am from JHB. I will send you a mail. It will come from domainbuysite@gmail.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I missed this thread.

One thing to say - you pay R800 or less for a 5 page website and you will see next to no conversion from that site. If you can prove to me that you get more conversion from that R800 site than a professionally designed website then I will personally pay you your R800, retrench all my labour and outsource to those people.

Finding a free template on the net is possibly the worst advice you can follow. A professional designer takes your goals into consideration and designs the website accordingly. A website is more than just an online business card. It requires a lot of investment in the form of time and money in order to be even remotely successful.

Kevin, be very careful on buying a website based on price. I think it's a very silly thing to do.

That said, I'm running a very reasonably priced monthly special on a professionally designed website (no cookie cutter templates) - if you're interested, PM me.

Will that site get you thousands of visitors for the keywords you are looking for right off the bat? Not a chance. You want quality traffic, you need a proper online marketing strategy. Online marketing costs money. What you will get, however, is a website that will give you a great chance of converting the visitors that you do get into leads and sales.

If you get a site designed for R800, please send me the link. I'd be very interested to do a running case study on my blog tracking your progress with the site. I'll audit the site and provide predictions of where you'll be in the next year. In a year's time, we'll see whether I was right or not.

Email problem
    Thanks
    If you're looking for to design websites, you could always try doing it yourself.
    There are a lot of website builders based online that could really benefit you. They're generally affordable, easy to use, and reliable. One in particular that I know you could use is Easy WebContent (easywebcontent.com).Their site builder sets everything up for you with templates and they provide tutorials to help you learn the ins and outs of the tool. And you'd also get a good level of customization, since, you'd be the one building the site.
    I hope this helps. Give the online site builders a try!

Email problem
    Thanks
    This is like how long is a piece of string, it all depends on what you need, however from the post it looks like you need a domain called www.electricfencingsandton.co.za which is available, then you need a 1 page site with a clear call to action, I would recon around R1000 to R2000 with design and all, then a "Get A Quote" form on the page, which must store the enquiry details to a database and email it to you.

You need the database option because sometimes emails don't get sent and you'd hate to lose an enquiry.

That's the easy part, once the page is live you need traffic, Google wont "see" you as important until other sites link to you, so add your site to sites like http://www.suboo.co.za under the Sandton suburb and then you'll get some traffic.

If you need help, hola

Thanks
    Hi @Kevinb, do you have an link to a website that looks similar to the one you want, and is the website completely static ( no user input that needs to be stored in a database )?

As @suboo suggested, a dynamic website with a simple database to store enquirers shouldn't cost much to develop. You would probably want to be notified via email as-well, and be able to login and view all your enquiries in list format and then once clicked on taken to single view. Also you would want to mark of delete which ones you have dealt with , what there status is, and some notes on your interaction with the potential client.

Thanks
    If you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys - just keep this in mind.

What most people say here has some value, and you need to weigh up the "costs" (no pun intended) and see what you can afford, and decide how much it is worth to you at the end of the day.

You could:

1. Use Wix or Yola or any one of the other free online website builders to build a pretty decent website. It's free and some of them put a lot of effort into delivering a pretty decent product. You pay more for your domain than with other hosts, and probably for additional "cool features", which you may or may not need.

2. Build a website yourself on an popular CMS which you can master within a few hours. Download a template which suits your business and does what you need it todo. In this case you generally be able to pay less for the domain & hosting than with Wix or Yola, etc

3. Pay someone R400 or R800 for a 5-pager website. This option saves you the time to try and figure out Joomla or Drupal, etc,and you don't need to bother looking for a template. The web designer could either give you a template driven website, or do something himself. But, at that cost he'll need todo a boatload full just to cover his basic needs in life (car, house, insurance, medical aid, fuel, food, internet, etc) and may not be around very long to support you with updates. I've yet to hear about a success story of such a website, where the developer happily supports his clients 10years, or even 2years later.

4. Spend more on more professional website, with a company who has a good reputation and more than 1 developer who can support you later on. Sure, there are companies out there who scam people, but they're in every single industry, in every country around the world. Use a company recommended by others, and compare at least 3 or 4 companies. Some will use templates, some wont. Some will hard code your website from scratch, some will use CMS systems. Some will use a proprietary system as well.

I personally like the idea of using a non-proprietary system like Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal, since anyone can take over the website's maintenance or further development if you later need someone else to redo the website, for whatever reason. A template driven website means you can change the look and feel, and quite often most of the functionality without redoing the whole website from scratch. And even if some of the "uber PC geeks" are completely against the idea of a template, one can design or modify a template to look totally unique, and very professional.
    Most CMS's also have a LOT of community developed addon modules which can greatly enhance your website's functionality, often at little to no cost. A hard coded website will be limited, in terms of functionality, to what the developers have, and can code for you - generally at an extra cost as well.

Why re-invent the wheel, every time?

Will most of your clients care if your website was free, cost R400, or R5000? Probably not?
    Will you get more business out of either of these 3 website options? Probably yes - it really all depends how well you market your website, and this is key to success
    Will a free or R400 website give you a lot of user interactivity? No. Or very limited.
    Does your website need a member's section, shopping cart, other useful interactive tools for your clients in order todo what they need todo? IF not, then the R5000 website might be overkill. But, if they do, then the free or R400 website may ruin your business or reputation if they tools don't do what you need.

Now, once your website is up and running, you need to advertise it otherwise potential clients won't find it on the internet. SEO is not that mythical, or mystical as most people try and make. And while you'll often spend good money with decent SEO firm, to market your website for you, you could also do this yourself if you have the time, patience and thrill to learn howto do it yourself. If time or the need to learn howto do it yourself doesn't exist, then rather use a good SEO company. In this case it would be wise to budget a few rands (generally from R1000/pm) on google Adwords, and then get someone todo some SEO work on the website as well. SEO will take longer to get the same results, but if it's done right could decrease your Adwords budget in the long run - which is what you ultimately want.
    Write new, unique and easy to read articles on a regular basis.
    Link to your website from various forums, blogs, facebook, etc.
    Get someone to write reviews of your website on forums, blogs, and facebook as well. i.e. if you sell a certain new product, and you've written an article about it, let someone else (spouse, friend, relative, etc) write a review about it, and post it on other sites where you didn't post it.
    Setup a google webmaster account and follow their recommendations.
    use google analytics to see how well your website performs.
    make sure your website have a "call for action" section, preferably on the frontpage.
    Readup on SEO techniques, ideally on google's own website(s) since there are may "black hat" and "white hat" tricks which could get your website banned from search rankings if used.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

10. Thank given for this post:

BusFact (14-Jul-12), Dave A (14-Jul-12), Mark Atkinson (16-Jul-12)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12