Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your credit record: free annual report

Thanks
    I went through Experion's process quite easily, now required to fax copy of ID and proof of address with a reference number to them so that I can access the full report.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    What worries me about the whole procedure is that you have to make virtually ALL your private information available to these guys. The question arises........what about identity theft ? This is so prevalent of late that one gets the cold shivers.
    I have checked that theirs is a secure site ( HTTPS ), but what is the possibility of scamsters to also obtain a secure site ? I do not know.
    I am not saying that this particular site is one of these BUT what if ?

Although in this case I have not followed my normal cautiousness, I don't think I am going to try this issue again unless I know it is perfectly safe.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

3. Thanks given for this post:

Yvonne (25-Feb-09)

Thanks
    Hiya, i'm gathering its a free report?? Don't like that concept anyway as everyone gets charged a fee to use the itc/experian/xds database info. Therefore how are they giving them away?? Also a little cautious that it may footprint your report and lower your credit rating everytime you do it as well - it depends how they access the system. I noticed also that the guys that easily offered once of checks for a fee have not made it so easy - thats in line with the NCA which carries heavy penalties for ITC checks done without permission.

Go straight to itc or experian and let them do it as Duncan suggests - much safer!
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    Sorry forgot also try XDS www.xds.co.za Not sure of the charge, if any, but is the most detailed report you get. They even tell what your credit card balance is!! They are gen, our service provider and also registered
    Garth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    What worries me about the whole procedure is that you have to make virtually ALL your private information available to these guys. The question arises........what about identity theft ?
    If you have any sort of credit, then ITC and Experion already have all your personal information - you had to give it out to apply for an account. What they are trying to do is ensure that they don't give your report to someone else and are checking the info against their database.

Quote Originally Posted by garthu View Post
    Hiya, i'm gathering its a free report?? Don't like that concept anyway as everyone gets charged a fee to use the itc/experian/xds database info. Therefore how are they giving them away??
    Garth, under the National Credit Act everyone is entitled to a single free credit report each year. Experion and ITC have to give one away for free.

72. (1) Every person has a right to-

(b) inspect any credit bureau, or national credit register, file or information concerning that person-

(i) without charge-

(aa) as of right once within any period of twelve months;
    Section 72(1)(b)(i)(aa) of the NCA.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan drennan View Post
    If you have any sort of credit, then ITC and Experion already have all your personal information -
    Ha ...but for us suspicious types - if you are not talking to the right guys then you are giving your personal info away and the potential exists (as it always does) for id theft.

Also if you haven't been credit active, it is now a chance for the credit record companies to update their records. This info is sold on to marketing companies and hey presto you are back on the spam pile and sifting junk mail out your post box. If any debt collectors or the cops are looking for you ...its better than facebook.
    Last edited by Marq; 25-Feb-09 at 12:59 PM. Reason: got my debt collectors mixed up with debtors
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    This info is sold on to marketing companies and hey presto you are back on the spam pile and sifting junk mail out your post box.
    I thought it was quite nice that Transunion has a link to the DMA opt out list on their home page. Add your name to that list and all the direct marketing disappears....although you have to give them all your details to be added

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hiya, i'm gathering its a free report?? Don't like that concept anyway as everyone gets charged a fee to use the itc/experian/xds database info. Therefore how are they giving them away??
    I'm quite sure the only reason it is free is because they're obliged in terms of the NCA.
    I noticed also that the guys that easily offered once of checks for a fee have not made it so easy - thats in line with the NCA which carries heavy penalties for ITC checks done without permission.
    I guess that's why there are all the questions you have to answer before you can get your free report too - to make sure it is really you. Probably just as well all said and done

Thanks
    I'll actually check the penalty again but memory serves correct it involves jail time an/or massive fine. Serious stuff!
    Garth

Thanks

buying shares/ cleaning credit record

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Ekmolefe, why would your credit record status affect your ability to buy shares?
    Hi Dave

I just need to be clear so that i can clean my credit record before going into investments. Don't you think this is how it should work? I don't know but some of us think very late about investing. Advise as to one should invest or clean the mess first?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast