Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Removing iron from borehole water

Thanks
    Hello Craig

Looks very professional. When I google Big Blue element filters, I get various results, can I ask where you purchase these filters?

Thanks

Big Blue Filter system

Quote Originally Posted by rh1 View Post
    Hello Craig

Looks very professional. When I google Big Blue element filters, I get various results, can I ask where you purchase these filters?
    Hello

The best price in town will be from Mike at Cape Garden Centre in Joostenberg Vlakte. I got mine at Bergrivier Besproeiing in Paarl

Thanks
    Hi Tarmac

I made my own venturi with 2x 40>32 reducers(PVC weld type) and a piece of 20mm conduit but you can buy ready made venturis at Koi fish shops or at Effast in Stikland

Thanks
    Great looking setup, your plumbing is much neater than mine

Thanks

Help with water

Quote Originally Posted by theoventer View Post
    Dear Eugene

I have been reading up on ground water purification for the past two years. I wanted a system which was cheap and effective. I wanted to put my red iron filled well point water through a system where I can use it in my house and also drink it.

I did the following.

I got two thousand litre flow bins and one two and a half thousand storage tank. On the first flow bin I installed a normal swimming pool sand filter. I then pump my well point water (very red to a point where it stain the walls) into the flow bin and filter it through the swimming pool sand filter. I add half a cup Chlorine to the water and pump it for about four hours. The chlorine oxidises with the iron and the iron is then catched in the sand filter which I backwash out. After four hours the red water becomes sparkling clean like a normal swimming pool.

When the water is sparkling clean I pump it over to the next flow bin. The only problem then is that the Chlorine and chloramine is very high. I then add Potassium Metabisulfite to the water which takes out both chlorine and chloramine from the water. This chemical works immediately with immediate effect. The potassium
    metabisulphite reduces the PH to about 5.7. I then add soda ash which takes my PH to about 7.1. This water is now iron free with no bacteria. Colourless, odourless, germ free drinking water.

Metabisulfite is what the use in wine, cooldrinks and lots of foodstuffs. Metabisulfite is also an anti oxidant and a preservative. I have been using my system for quite some time with great success. I produce about 4000 lt of clean drinking water which I then pump into my storage tank for home use.

Cost involve in this mini water purifying system is very minimal.

You can definitely contact me for more information. I am not a salesman wanting to sell you filter systems that does not work.

Regards

Theo
    I read you setup and is very jealous and would like to sort my water out. Its being tested as we speak (wellpoint) but from what I can see the water has a red colour and is very salty. Need help to setup my water for off the grid use.

Thanks
    Hi Guys.
    Well done to all the guys out there who have setup their own water treatment plants. I am glad I could be of assistance. The response to our adds were phenomenal and we want to thank all our new clients for their support. Just showing you the system that we install at our clients with great results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180220_122910.jpg 
Views:	861 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	7021

Regards
    THEO
    (theoventer@hotmail.com)

Thanks

Ground water purification

Dear Eugene

I have been reading up on ground water purification for the past two years. I wanted a system which was cheap and effective. I wanted to put my red iron filled well point water through a system where I can use it in my house and also drink it.

I did the following.

I got two thousand litre flow bins and one two and a half thousand storage tank. On the first flow bin I installed a normal swimming pool sand filter. I then pump my well point water (very red to a point where it stain the walls) into the flow bin and filter it through the swimming pool sand filter. I add half a cup Chlorine to the water and pump it for about four hours. The chlorine oxidises with the iron and the iron is then catched in the sand filter which I backwash out. After four hours the red water becomes sparkling clean like a normal swimming pool.

When the water is sparkling clean I pump it over to the next flow bin. The only problem then is that the Chlorine and chloramine is very high. I then add Potassium Metabisulfite to the water which takes out both chlorine and chloramine from the water. This chemical works immediately with immediate effect. The potassium
    metabisulphite reduces the PH to about 5.7. I then add soda ash which takes my PH to about 7.1. This water is now iron free with no bacteria. Colourless, odourless, germ free drinking water.

Metabisulfite is what the use in wine, cooldrinks and lots of foodstuffs. Metabisulfite is also an anti oxidant and a preservative. I have been using my system for quite some time with great success. I produce about 4000 lt of clean drinking water which I then pump into my storage tank for home use.

You can definitely contact me for more information. I am not a salesman wanting to sell you filter systems that does not work.

Regards

Theo
    Hi Theo

I was very interested in your post of November 2017, and I would like to ask some questions with reference to the below paragraph:

"When the water is sparkling clean I pump it over to the next flow bin. The only problem then is that the Chlorine and chloramine is very high. I then add Potassium Metabisulfite to the water which takes out both chlorine and chloramine from the water. This chemical works immediately with immediate effect. The potassium
    metabisulphite reduces the PH to about 5.7. I then add soda ash which takes my PH to about 7.1. This water is now iron free with no bacteria. Colourless, odourless, germ free drinking water."

I would like to ask you the following:

1) Where do you buy the Potassium Metabisulfite?
    2) How much of the Potassium Metabisulfite do you add to the water?
    3) How much of the Soda Ash do you add to the water?

Thanks

Answers to questions

Quote Originally Posted by raygold View Post
    Hi Theo

I was very interested in your post of November 2017, and I would like to ask some questions with reference to the below paragraph:

"When the water is sparkling clean I pump it over to the next flow bin. The only problem then is that the Chlorine and chloramine is very high. I then add Potassium Metabisulfite to the water which takes out both chlorine and chloramine from the water. This chemical works immediately with immediate effect. The potassium
    metabisulphite reduces the PH to about 5.7. I then add soda ash which takes my PH to about 7.1. This water is now iron free with no bacteria. Colourless, odourless, germ free drinking water."

I would like to ask you the following:

1) Where do you buy the Potassium Metabisulfite?
    Protea Chemicals in Killarney Gardens

2) How much of the Potassium Metabisulfite do you add to the water?
    Depends on how much Chlorine is in you solution, get a swimming pool test kit, add 50 grams at a time and test, repeat untill the test kit shows zero chlorine. I just so happen to use 300 grams per 5000 ltrs for my water.
    3) How much of the Soda Ash do you add to the water?
    Same as above add 50 grams wait 15 mins while circulating your water in the tank, take reading using a pH meter or swimming pool test kit, add untill your pH is right. I happen to use 200 grams per 5000 ltrs for my water.

Email problem
    Thanks

Metabisulphite, Hi Theo, how much is to be approximately added to 1000L. Cl rading is close to 3

Dear Eugene

I did the following.

Regards

Theo
    Hi Theo
    How much metabisulphite approx to be added to 1000L. Cl reading is about 3.
    Thanks
    Kevin

Thanks
    Hi Kevin,
    1 Teaspoon of Potassium Meta-Bisulphite per 100l of water, then 16 grams of Soda Ash per 1000l to bring up the pH (should be between 6.5 and 7.5).
    Regards
    Theo

11. Thanks given for this post:

4trac4 (22-Mar-18)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.