Thread: Demotion after probation

Thanks

Demotion after probation

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with some clarity. My wife started for a company in November 2011 (3 months probation). After 3 months they told her she has potential, but isn't quite up to scratch and they extended her contract (nothing signed though and no documentation regarding training). She went for training and they extended her probation again and transferred her (still nothing signed).

The client my wife was working for was very difficult and since my wife has been transferred they are still a problem client. She has a colleague who is also a manager at the branch she is working at and they too sometimes are difficult. They called my wife in and told her they can transfer her again to another branch and demote her and give her a salary decrease or she can leave. Is this fair? Can we claim that the training they gave her was insufficient (about 3 weeks worth of on the job training)? Can they claim unsatisfactory work performance if other managers (people who've been there for years) perform pretty much the same? Do they have a leg to stand on if they have not got any signed documentation from my wife that they have warned and given her a chance to rectify?

Thanks,

Craig

Suspended
    Thanks
    Craig - it sounds like your wife is working for quite a large organization with different branches. Normally those guys are up to scratch with their training. It does seem that your wife has a problem with quite a few people and others are "difficult". Perhaps she has to look within. Perhaps other managers that have been there for years do perform in their superiors eyes ?? And it seems they did tell her she wasnt up to scratch AND gave her a futher opportunity to improve by extending her probation period.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by craigba View Post
    Is this fair?
    The difficulty with cases like these is the devil is in the detail. Which means wading through other people's performance, dragging other people's performance into the mix, effectively questioning other people's suitability to be in the post they're in.

I wouldn't go into a bun fight like that on a marginal call, and avoiding the demotion would have to be really worth fighting for.

I suggest give your wife a big hug, tell her they're all bastards, and you'll back her whatever she decides to do.
    Last edited by Dave A; 02-Jun-12 at 03:26 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the responses. My ultimate question at is: Are they allowed to give her a salary cut? I know normally they are not allowed to, but what is the ruling with Probation?

Suspended
    Thanks
    I dont see why not.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    That is the exact purpose of probation, to see whether a person is suitable, or can be made suitable, for a job. It is up to them to offer her the particular job, another job, or no job whatsoever when the probation period is up. I also think that she should speak to the company and find out what it will take for her to prove that she is worth the full salary and position. Have them set a performace goal i.e. service 3 clients successfully and the job is hers.

Thanks
    Thanks guys... That might be a problem: I don't think they have given her measurable objectives, but I will get her to ask them

Thanks
    I come on here first the time and am floored with the fresh information here.