Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More violence in crime.

Thanks

More violence in crime.

At a loss for words after reading this story on IOL. So many "contradictions" (I'm struggling to find the right word; it certainly isn't irony).

A broken cellphone and R3 in cash - these were the spoils of an armed robbery which has left a Pretoria man fighting for his life in a city hospital.

Jason Marshall, who has lost a kidney and part of his intestines, was shot in the back while asleep with his wife, Cindy, in their Faerie Glen home.

The shooting, in the early hours of last Friday, comes in a period which has seen an upsurge in brutality in violent attacks on countless Pretoria residents by armed gangs.

The surge in the brutality and violence in crimes - which seems to contradict the apparent fall in crime as shown by SAPS statistics - is confirmed by researchers and city Community Policing Forum (CPF) members who warn of worse to come.

Tshwane University of Technology policing lecturer Johan Burger said information showed that violence accompanying the commission of crimes was increasing.

He said he believed this was because of recent successes by police and that the prosecuting authority was frustrating criminals, who were finding it more and more difficult to get away with their actions.
    Successful policing is making the violence worse?

Thanks
    LOL, Yip the more effecient our police force is, the higher the crime rate, doesn't this make sense to anyone else or only us that reside in SA.
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Silver Member
    Thanks

Armed Robbery at Restaurant

Just read an article in the Bedforview/Edenvale News:

Restaurant, staff and diners held up by armed robbers.
    As the robbers left the Car guard managed to stop an Edenvale SAP vehicle. The policeman told her "he could not chase the car as his car was not fast enough"
    Naturally this statement is denied by the police, by taking statements and opening a case, the situation was taken control of.

There is absolutely nothing to add to that is there?

I want so much to be positive - but what hope do we have?

Yvonne S

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm afraid there aren't too many cars that are faster than a speeding bullet. Personally I can't blame individual police from hesitating before rushing into a potential massacre with the Jeppestown incident so fresh in their memory.

The solution has to be in getting the right resources in place. If the same political will was applied to reducing crime that we see in some other aspects of South African life - there would surely be significant progress.

I think ever-increasing pressure from all the citizens of this country can only improve government efforts to cure this disease. If government does not like violent crime in the headlines, then stop the crime instead of trying to minimise the headlines.

Thanks
    then stop the crime instead of trying to minimise the headlines.
    Dave don't you think we should have a harsher penalty system...it seems to work in other places...I am refering to branding or other and for that matter even the Death penalty. These people need to think twice before commiting these horrible things. I recon the only way to do that is to set an example...It's really to bad that we don't use the rod any longer as our children are going to reap this reward and become the spoilt brats that the old biblical quote predicts and then some. This i truly believe is all our own fault, because of the way we allow things to develop without the discipline following through!
    "Networking" is my "CONTACT" Sport!"
    Alcocks Electrical Entomological Hygiene

Thanks
    This is a situation that will be out of control in the near future, if not already. In a normal civilized society we depend on the police and justice systems to protect us from the animals out there. What happens when these fail? As a individual you have the right to life and as a family person you have the instinct to protect those that are close to you. Now if you cannot depend on the law makers to do this, it is left up to you at the end of the day. This is where i think the problem is going to arise, sooner or later people are going to say enough and you will end up with vigilanties and private police forces for entire areas. I know as family man and parent if somebody enters my private home and has the intention of hurting my family. I would not hesitate doing something about it and if it leads to the loss of life of the criminal so be it.
    Dave i hear what you say about the police hesitating but then why choose that profession. Why become a fireman if you have a fear of fire? Unfortunatly police are faced with this all over the world, and have to step up to the plate when called upon.
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.

Marine Aquariums SA

Thanks
    I would not hesitate doing something about it and if it leads to the loss of life of the criminal so be it.
    People whom i know that have "reacted" in this manner ....are now sitting in the boat of being on the wrong side of the law. You just can't win.!!

Thanks
    I hear what you saying Candy, but really what do you do, it boils down to frustration at the end of the day.

Marine Aquariums SA

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well. It looks like whining helps.

According to this story in M&G, the minister is now promising more action.
    "We would bring to the attention of the criminals out there that we're going to be on their necks, and indicate to the South African public that we would do whatever is necessary for us to provide safety and security for them," Nqakula vowed.
    Wouldn't it be nice if the sound of packing suitcases was from the criminals packing to leave South Africa.

Thanks
    It's really a pity we don't have another "Australia" available in the world today...pack them off into an unknown and leave them to fend for themselves. In hind site this must have been an ideal solution - "banishment"-it has a nice ring to it!....i know i'm just dreaming...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast