Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local webdevs need to get with the program

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    and at any time shift the data to the new system.
    Provided you're able to access and download the database, which best I can tell isn't the case here either

If we look at it carefully, all business are in this position in some form of another, we have just not sat down and thought about it very carefully.
    Certainly a risk if you don't pay attention. Personally I've made sure my companies don't have this loaded gun held to their head. So it's a bit frustrating to get involved with an organisation that has left itself so vulnerable.

This isn't the first bit of webdev this service provider has done for the organisation, but it is the first where they're insisting on a per-user fee structure. I'm sensing an incremental squeeze coming on.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi Dave,

Time to get hold of the data, and ensure that it is in state that can be read easily by any program you can put together.

The important thing here when dealing with this type of situation is supplier integrity, they are far and in between.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Time to get hold of the data, and ensure that it is in state that can be read easily by any program you can put together.
    I agree. Problem is I've got 11 other people to pursuade still, and they think access to the back end of a website is the admin panel of an app. As far as I can tell, the only person with the keys to the backend that counts might be the service provider.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I agree. Problem is I've got 11 other people to pursuade still, and they think access to the back end of a website is the admin panel of an app. As far as I can tell, the only person with the keys to the backend that counts might be the service provider.
    Hi Dave,

You must be the original owner of the URL and have your email registered with the ISP where it is being hosted. If not, changing the password is no guarantee of protection of the back end, as far as the ISP is concerned, who has registered the site with the ISP in the first place is the owner of the email to which the new password is sent too.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12