I'm uncertain that FW's comments recently and "shredded" by the press are as sinister or reprehensible as the critics would have us believe. The Sunday Tribune Editor in his column on Sunday 13th suggests that FW has been living a facade all these years and should be stripped of his Nobel award. I'm not so sure but will leave that debate to those better positioned to debate that issue.

The notion of certain groups living in their own pieces of the country makes sense to me. We live in a country of many different cultures and to my mind the protection of individual cultures should receive more attention than it does. At the very core of most cultures is a strong moral fibre but the manner in which those cultures are maintained is what differs and seems to spark heated debate and anger across the cultural divide.

So the bringing together and tacit promotion of cultures into integrated cosmopolitan societies appears to be the catalyst of many problems causing the degeneration and loss of cultural identity. Should we not be encouraging and promoting cultural separation with respect to where we live. It appears to happen fairly naturally anyway but should we not take greater effort to promote the protection of cultures by providing cultural geographic space?

Allowing cultures to live in their own geographic areas is surely therefore not a bad thing PROVIDED that the freedom of movement and choice on where to live is not restricted in any way.