Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware the new Big Brother

Thanks
    check this out
    A warning for mankind: Beware the new Big Brother

http://www2.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...ew-big-brother
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (10-May-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is the crux of the argument to me -

“Media that spies on and data-mines the public is destroying freedom of thought and only this generation, the last to grow up remembering the ‘old way’, is positioned to save this, humanity’s most precious freedom,” he said.

Moglen believes it was a mistake not to create the internet with anonymity built-in.

“We’ve taken the web and made Facebook out of it. We’ve put one man in the middle of everything. Through the net, we are creating media that consumes us, governments that can read us. Governments no longer need to torture people to get them to inform on each other,” Moglen said, likening social networks like Facebook to soft-power versions employed by the German SS to get people to snitch on each other.
    I'm not sure I come to the same conclusion, though. Going to chew on it a bit more.

Certainly a thought provoking piece.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That is why Facebook, Twitter and other social media is so dangerous. We are sharing useless information, but it gives perpetrators enough information to almost trace our whereabouts, such as FB Timeline.

Whoever uses social media must be made aware of the risk of forfeiting your privacy, especially young people.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If anything the behavioural mindset is one thing the creativity mindset is something else. The behavioural mindset points to what sites you like to visit if you like or dislike adult entertainment and if you are an extrovert or introvert. All this info can be seen on your searching behaviour and it is not new for providers to log us on each and every single search.

Now as for the imagination bit, if you imagine kicking an irritating co-worker or slapping that arrogant boss doesn’t mean it will lead to an actual events. It stays in the mind. Now it doesn’t matter how good the human simulator becomes the imagination variable cannot be simulated or digitised.

If it does then it will be the end of humanity and computers will reinvent themselves accordingly realising worlds like the Matrix, Ghost in a shell or The Terminator. Things can suddenly become very bad because our flaws will also become the flaws of the program things like hate and greed along with antisocial behaviour will then become a reality in every way.

If there are restrictions in the program, the program will simply overcome them by creating new code if it has the "imagination" to do so. That is the level of scariness that will become a reality.

So ask yourself this single most important question;

Is it worth the risk? Just remember things can never happen until they happen and if anything I have learned in this life ANYTHING is possible.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Is it worth the risk? Just remember things can never happen until they happen and if anything I have learned in this life ANYTHING is possible.
    But on another thread you said your "life" is over ...............

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    But on another thread you said your "life" is over ...............
    As I said it doesn’t really matter anymore.
    peace is a state of mind

Suspended
    Thanks
    A major contradiction!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm still struggling to work out whether the prof is talking about Facebook or the internet as a whole. I also don't see how this is a "freedom of thought" problem - perhaps the problem is translation

When it comes to Facebook I can see where his concern comes from, as I am a little concerned about implications of mapping the "social graph" in its entirety. I can still remember the feeling I had when I first got tagged in a photo by someone else...

But I can't help thinking people will be wise enough to choose what they disclose, especially if there are draconian consequences.

And when it comes to the internet in general, you can be pretty damn anonymous if you want to be. In fact at times disturbingly so.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In any suggestion that computers will map the human behaviour one must factor in the non social part of the brain. This part remains hidden from everything and is normally very primitive in decision making.

An example would be road rage… That moment where you as a conscious person blacks out and this thing just takes over. This part of your brain can never be mapped without something taking chemical readings every second of every minute it is that sensitive.

So I will not worry too much about a virtual mind simulating a person. There are things about us that are downright scary we find this in both male and female mindsets and a computer cannot factor this part in because this part is well hidden and well protected. Some of us will even deny its existence
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The prof is talking about the internet as a whole. He is against software that log our details and track our behaviour. A large number of Android apps already require access to the device's GPS, this is used for geolocated advertising. I also notice some targeted advertising coming my way, there is are serious flaws in targeted advertising though. I find that I get bombarded by advertising for products that I already own and I find that the targeted advertising couses me not to be exposed to diverse products because the targeting drows everything else out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast