Thread: Elton John nicked my song :D

Silver Member
    Thanks

Wink Elton John nicked my song :D

This is got to be a joke. First he wrote the song called Natasha bwahaha... Then he only heard the song for first time in 2001, only 16 years later(I wonder where was he all this time) and then he has been waiting 11 years for them to settle, this oke must be a clown lol... At least that's what I think from the article

http://mg.co.za/article/2012-05-06-e...ng-says-sa-man

Elton John nicked my song, says SA man

A Cape Town photographer has filed papers with an American court, claiming that Sir Elton John plagiarised his song lyrics, the Sunday Times reported.

Guy Hobbs plans to sue John, lyricist Bernie Taupin and their company Big Pig Music because their song Nikita contained similar lyrics to a song he wrote called Natasha.

Hobbs said he waited more than 25 years to take the matter to court because he hoped the pair would offer him a settlement.

He also claimed he first heard the 1985 hit song in 2001.

Hobbs said he sent his lyrics to a number of music publishers, including Big Pig, in 1984.

He said he could prove the authenticity of his claim because he kept an unopened registered letter of the work he sent to himself in May and November 1983.

A spokesperson for John and Taupin said Hobbs claim was unfounded.

"In short, the suit is completely meritless. The fact that Hobbs has chosen 26 years after the release of Nikita to bring this lawsuit calls his motives into question." -- Sapa
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A Cape Town photographer writing songs?!!

Maybe his photographs are not selling. Well, I've never heard of him, so both music and photos may not be so good.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

3. Thanks given for this post:

Nickolai Naydenov (07-May-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    He said he could prove the authenticity of his claim because he kept an unopened registered letter of the work he sent to himself in May and November 1983.
    That is just SO convenient !!!! WHO the heck first of all sends HIMSELF an unregistered letter and secondly who the heck does not open it for 29 years and thirdly WHY would you send yourself a letter and not register it ? This guy's lift seriously doesnt go all the way to the top !!!!

5. Thanks given for this post:

Nickolai Naydenov (07-May-12)

Thanks
    He's taking a chance but it will be interesting to see how far it goes...
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    That is just SO convenient !!!! WHO the heck first of all sends HIMSELF an unregistered letter and secondly who the heck does not open it for 29 years and thirdly WHY would you send yourself a letter and not register it ? This guy's lift seriously doesn't go all the way to the top !!!!
    No fool if he has done that.

He says that he sent himself a registered letter with the lyrics in the registered letter. The registration process is acceptable proof that the action did take place. If the letter remains unopened, then on presentation of the sealed letter to the judge who is reviewing the case, then opens the letter, and if the information in the letter is the same as the claim that he is making, then he is fully justified to make the claim based on copyright as being his in the first place.

This is standard practice when you are dealing with sensitive patentable or copyright material. The registered unopened letter is proof of first knowledge based on the date of the registered letter. If their is no provable claim of knowledge prior to the registered letter date, then it is taken as premia facia that the owner of the registered letter owns the copyright of the material concerned.

P.S. there is no expiry dated on copyright.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

8. Thank given for this post:

Nickolai Naydenov (07-May-12), wynn (07-May-12)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Justloadit is 100% correct, in my mind thou everything else doesn't make sense, maybe this guy is looking for publicity lol...
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---

Suspended
    Thanks
    Sorry my mistake - I read unregistered letter! But I still think he is a twat to try to claim after so many years!

Thanks
    So in essence, the way I see it, he is taking a chance, but has planned this meticulously and was just waiting for a long enough period to pass before he makes the claim. I doubt that he will get anywhere though...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think he has a good chance, if the lyrics in the registered letter match the song, it is proof of copying, and copying with out consent is infringement of the copyright law. Copyright is indefinite, and has no time constraint. The fact that he has waited for 20 years is irrelevant.

He says he waited this long because according to him he was negotiating with EJ for a settlement, which has not been forth coming, so now he has followed the legal route.
    It is possible that EJ simply ignored him because he may think that it is a hoax?
    It could be that EJ bought the lyrics from someone else, and feels that he is not responsible.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za