Thread: POTENTIAL CAR POOL PROBLEMS

Thanks

POTENTIAL CAR POOL PROBLEMS

With the petrol price increasing for the fourth time in 2012 to reach another record high, many motorists may consider forming a car pooling group in an effort to reduce costs associated with daily travelling. However, they could be placing themselves at risk of a motor insurance claim repudiation if they are not aware of the insurance considerations when it comes to car pooling activities.

If consumers receive money for their car pooling initiative most insurance companies may consider this to be business use, which could cause problems if the policy states the car is only covered for personal use. Some policies stipulate consumers are not allowed to carry fare-paying passengers or use it for trade purposes, so it is vital that consumers check with their insurance providers to see whether they need to adapt their policy accordingly.

Must register as a taxi operator

Passengers in a car pool may contribute to the cost of running the vehicle, but there must be no element of profit or monetary gain for the owner. If the driver does make a profit, then they are potentially invalidating their domestic motor insurance policy because anyone who stands to make a profit from any form of transportation with their vehicle, such as a shuttle service, must officially register as a taxi operator. Those who register themselves as a taxi operator will also need to comply with all the regulations that ensue.

While some of these rules are related to good driving practices, such as having the vehicle tested annually, some are more serious. A taxi operator is required to hold a professional driving permit (PrDP). If a consumer is transporting someone for money and does not have this permit, in addition to their driving licence, then it is highly possible that they will not be paid out in the event of a claim.

If any consumer's car pooling initiative changes from a lift to and from work into a profitable operation, there is a high risk that the insurer would repudiate an accident claim if they have not been informed of the change in circumstance. The safest way of doing this is on a basis of alternating vehicles, so no money changes hands.

Thanks
    It's a situation where you damned if you do and you damned if you don't. I think that South Africans should be given a break. Life in and of itself is challenging enough...
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    It's an interesting issue and probably one that is becoming more relevant with the new toll roads as well.

If as the driver and vehicle owner you request that the passengers club together and pay you money equivalent to the published AA mileage rates for your particular vehicle surely this wouldn't be seen as profitable in the eyes of the law or insurance companies???? Obviously if taken on a day by day basis you might show a small short term profit but over a longer period with servicing and tyre replacement considerations etc I think classing it as a profitable venture would be something of a stretch.

You say certain policies may forbid it but is there no across the industry guidelines or recommended code on this? I guess where I'm heading is how would the ombudsman approach a verdict if such a case ended up in front of him?

Suspended
    Thanks
    I am using a above ground pool. I am using the chlorine tablets regularly but still there are algae parts in swimming pool. Can anyone help me to get ride of this problem. What should I do?

Thanks
    Hi William

This is a thread is about CAR pooling, not pool maintenance...sooo give google another try
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is just another example of how bureaucracy kills initiative.

Everyone is complaining about the congestion on the roads, pollution and noise, but when the people do something for themselves, it is an opportunity for another body to make money out of them.

I agree that the insurers should be notified, but it cannot be seen as business use if you only travel the same route from home and back every day.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Correct me if I am wrong! but car pooling is where say four people from the same neighborhood who travel to roughly the same working area take turns to drive the others to work, usually a week each.
    There is no charge because whoever's turn it is pays for the fuel, wear n tear, parking etc. for one week when using his own vehicle and rides for free for the following three weeks?

Where does charging for this come into it and why should it affect my insurance because I am allowed to take passengers in my car provided they are not paying.

On the other hand if say ten of the same people contribute towards the purchase and running of a taxi and use that to go to and from work, that is a different matter, the advantage is that besides being exempt from 'etolls' the vehicle can be used during working hours to do other tasks eg. taxi, courier, courtesy transport, shuttle etc. to earn a little towards the upkeep.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    Hi William

This is a thread is about CAR pooling, not pool maintenance...sooo give google another try
    wha ha ha ha ha....

So tell me, does your car come with flippers and a snorkel?