Thread: Pastel matching problem

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Pastel matching problem

Morning

I was wondering if anyone can help on the following, after starting our new financial year in March, I notice in our Pastel that in the 120 days period we have minus figures as payments have not been matched properply, when I open matching items it does not show the items which are unmatched as they are from the previous year, is there a way of fixing this? so all my items are matched properly?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vieome View Post
    Morning

I was wondering if anyone can help on the following, after starting our new financial year in March, I notice in our Pastel that in the 120 days period we have minus figures as payments have not been matched properply, when I open matching items it does not show the items which are unmatched as they are from the previous year, is there a way of fixing this? so all my items are matched properly?
    Try converting the accounts from Open Item to Balance Forward and back again. Clearing open item history also sometimes work

3. Thanks given for this post:

vieome (26-Apr-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Smile

Thanks so much will try that

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    BEST ASK THE EXPERTS FIRST BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING IN PASTEL. http://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/m...Neville-Bailey learnt this the hard way

For any reading this thread and trying to correct the problem I have since discovered that is it more then just changing the Open Item to Balance Forward and back again. Doing that leaves you with a total balance in your open match item, and your statement too with just one balance and lost of transactions. Then you have to build the balances via journals, and then you basically have to follow the instructions below.

helpdesk.evolvesystemsgroup.com

HOW DO YOU CORRECT THE PROBLEM?

If you experience the Open Item Mismatch problem there is a simple cure to correct the imbalance, but in doing so you lose the detail of some of your accounts. Similarly there is a way to recreate this lost detail but it involves some extra data capture.

IMPORTANT: Before you proceed to fix the problem, print out a Detailed Ledger and current Statement for each of the offending accounts AND ensure that you have an additional backup of your current set of accounts (including the errors that you are about to fix).

Correcting the imbalance
    To correct the imbalance follow this procedure, for each account which is out of balance:
    Run the Change ... Open Item / Balance Forward option and convert from Open Item to Balance Forward, ranging only on that account code.
    Thereafter, for the same account code, run the Change ... Open Item / Balance Forward option and convert from Balance Forward to Open Item, ensuring that you Make One Aged Balance (rather than balances per period).
    Your ledger account is then back in balance with the Age Analysis / statement and you can proceed to reload the statement detail as per the procedure below.

Recreating the Statement Detail (this set is optional)

Recreating the statement detail involves posting adjusting debits and credits to the account to show the detail lines that have been 'merged' during the recovery procedure above. To reload the statement detail, follow these steps:

Print a statement for the 'fixed' account. The balance of this statement should now be correct as per the Detailed Ledger for that customer printed earlier. You will note however that individual detail lines on the statement no longer display.

Use the Detailed Ledger and statement printed earlier to identify all the transaction lines that should be displaying on the statement of account. The total of these individual transactions should be the same as the account total mentioned in Step 1.

Process a General Ledger entry using some form of Journal (Customer Journal / General Journal, etc.).

On the first line, enter a transaction line for the total of the account balance, with the opposite sign to the balance (for example, if the customer owes $500, enter a transaction line of $500 Cr). In the description, enter the words 'Open Item Adjustment - Match Opening Balance'. When the Open Item allocation screen appears, allocate this amount to the single balance on the account (you can also invoke this screen manually by pressing F3 once the batch line has been entered).

On the second and subsequent lines, enter a transaction line per invoice balance that should be displayed on the statement, with the same sign as appears on the ledger / statement (for example, if 3 invoices have amounts of $150, $270 and $80 outstanding, enter these three lines). In the description, enter the words 'Open Item Adjustment - Invoice No nnn Outstanding Balance'. When the Open Item allocation screen appears, make these items Original Invoices.

Finally, enter any credit notes or payments (if relevant) as lines with the same sign as their original transaction, but ignore the allocation screen (you are not able to match credit notes to invoices that are still in a batch and will have to do this later with Process .. Open Item Reallocation).

NOTE: If, in Step 5, you enter only the outstanding balance per invoice (after credits and payments) rather than the original invoice amount, you would not have to enter payments and credit notes and do a Reallocation - you are therefore strongly advised to adopt this approach.

Take a print-out of the batch, ensuring that it balances (i.e. the first line matching the account balance should match the total of all the subsequent lines and the whole entry should balance to zero). This means that it can be Updated to ledger. Take another backup and then do the Update.

Check the accounts in question by printing a statement for each account and comparing it to the original Detailed Ledger (not the original incorrect statement). The account balances should be identical and your account detail lines should be restored.

Remember that prevention is better than cure and you should always make frequent backups and run the Data Integrity / Full Verify procedure once a day to check data integrity.

6. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (28-Jun-12), Neville Bailey (28-Jun-12)