Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    the vet also recomended hills...but for that price...the dogs would only be able to eat once a week...i have been using pedigree...add chicken necks or boil chicken bones etc in rice and add it to the pellets.
    The vet gets a kick-back on Hills, so of course they will recommend it.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just remember most stuff that gets processed into dog food is not that wonderful when it comes to quality. Simple low grade meat “still fit for human consumption” is cheap to buy and is of a higher quality. Chicken you can get the very best already cooked for between R20 and R30 and all you do is a bit of deboning and removing of fatty parts. My dog used loved it!!! I highly recommend the beef “same quality they make the biltong from with the yellow fat”

Yes the cost is not that low but be honest why would you feed your best friend, companion and or family member anything less than the best? It is nice and fresh.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Old Rambo passed away recently at the ripe old age of 15. He was fed lean chicken, a little rice and peas. As a snack he had some quality chunks. He was in a very good condition, but had heart failure and became deaf and blind.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am sorry to hear that Blurock.

I miss my dog... The house feels so empty at night you don't hear him sneaking around anymore and he was a pro at stealing my snacks.... He was a good friend
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (09-Oct-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Sometimes I lie awake at night and think of the perfect pet.The perfect pet is a fluffy pink unicorn that farts rainbows and then flys away singing ''Pink fluffy unicorns dancing on a rainbow!Pink fluffy unicorns dancing on a rainbow!''

Thanks
    I started my pups on Eukanuba, but they developed exema (spell check?) and their stools were very runny, with repeated flatulance, then we switched to good old Pedigree, their stools were bigger and more firm, their farting stopped and they're in good nick again.

Also, the method we use to feed is not what normally happens, we don't feed at a given time/quantity, we just fill their bowls when they are empty and the dogs snack throughout the day so they never get to the stage where they are hungry, caution, if you go this route, it must be from when they are pups to supress the instinct to eat all their food in one sitting.

I find from experience that they don't become overweight using this method and they seem to be much happier and they don't beg for as many titbits. We have used this method with all our dogs (2xFox terriers from pups died at ages 12-yrs and 16-yrs, liver cancer and heart failure respectively). Currently we have 2x Jack Russels, from pups they are now 4-yrs (Dam), and 2-yrs (Sire).
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Silver Member
    Thanks
    My dogs get Montego senior. The one dog (staffie cross) started having problem with his joints at an early age (3/4 years old) and the added glussamen (sp?) really helps. It's the first time I have every seen a change in diet physically doing something and made me really think about what I eat.

I have no problem giving my dogs chicken bones from store bought/ KFC chickens. These chickens are around 3 months old an the bones are very soft and do not splinter. Even my little 4kg girl wolfs down leg bones with ease.

Our dogs have food 24/7. Our dogs do regulate what they eat, the girl is on the skinny side and boy is slightly over weight - but certainly not in a dangerous way. Means we do not have to be back for meal times and we can leave them for 24hr in the garage/house if need be.

Due to dog theft and poisoning our dogs have never spent a night outside or day if we not there. For security dogs are better indoors anyway.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I agree, started my 9 year old boerboel on Montego Senior, the added Glucosamine and Chondroitin made a huge noticeable difference in her movement.

Sadly she past away last month at 12 years old from cancer

Was very traumatic for our family

Thanks
    May be you can try Hills. My dogs like it.

Thanks
    Have 3 Great Danes. Have bred them in the past. Have tried many, many foods and was very concerned about reports of saw dust being used as a bulking agent. Finally found Jock Multistage, the answer to our concerns. Energy...coat shine...wet cold noses. Could not wish for more!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast