i spent part of the day walking thru an installation which has been inspected and all the repairs have already been done...the customer is only gona receive the coc once the transfer goes thru...but i found a list as long as my arm...just from the visual inspection...

things like the meter box feeds the main db...which them feeds the borehole pump from a circuit breaker and the sub main db is feed from the bottom of the main switch...but thats not the issue...its the fact that there is no panel covering the circuit breakers and bussbars...and the door can be opened without the use of a tool...no labels....cable not buried in the ground...so the tractor can drive over it and damage it (no earth leakage protection)....the borehole pump isolator and control box is not secured to anything it is just laying on the floor...but the best was the connector block joint taped up with plastic tape...just to mention a few...the list is long...at least the buyer can now confront the seller before the transfer goes thru....and either negotiate the price or make sure the repairs are done...for all we know the seller might not even know that the inspector has taken short cuts or they could be mates.

my point is...at least if the coc is available before the property is put on the market...at least you can choose to accept it as is...or can get a second opinion or negotiate with the seller...but the way it works at the moment...people think you cant sell a property unless you have a coc (which is not true by the way) and have to wait until the transfer goes thru before you get to see it....only then if the coc looks like it could be illegal or not done above board...then have to pay out your own pocket to get an investigation done by the dol who then palms it off to the aia ( who as some have indicated arent the most trustworthy bunch)...then you have to pay for the repairs...then sue the seller for your money back...yeah right

with the cpa we are suppose to be some of the best protected consumers in the world....then i ask myself why are we not protected when buying property...for some...the biggest investment we are likely to make in our life time.

it should be law that the coc is issued before the property is put on the market ....then the buyer has the option to have the coc checked and get a second opinion if required...before making an offer to purchase...not have to sit with an illegal electrical coc and an unsafe property...then try fight for something which should have be done right from the start...only once the transfer has already gone thru...bit late i would say...if this was the usa maybe it would work because you could sue the sellers for everything he owned and some...but here is the good old rs of a highly unlikely.

some people will say but what if they change their mind or cant sell the property...the way i see it...at least you will have a safe electrical installation...and maybe it could improve the quality of inspections.