Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing mail into a gmail account

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Importing mail into a gmail account

I have been using a gmail account for importing all my mail from different mail addresses to one gmail account. I now have a person working for me and decided to register another gmail address to import the business mail to the new gmail address. I validated the new email address and can see in the settings of the gmail account that it checks for new mail. Although I know that email is sent to the business nothing gets fetched and retrieved into the new gmail account. The question is why not?
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    Faan,

Just remember that if your "home" computer has downloaded the email already, then gmail will not be able to find the emails because gmail checks your mail server for the emails and once downloaded to your computer, they are deleted from the server.
    I do the following: Put a message rule on the home computer to forward the incoming emails to the gmail account.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    What I did now is to insert a "forward" email address into cPanel and let us hope this works.
    I sent an email from elsewhere and received it at the new one.

This however is not how I did it in the past.
    Last edited by Faan; 05-Apr-12 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Add info
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    Your plan should work 100% !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    It does work, but it is now a forwarded message and not an original.
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Forwarding mail like that can come with some surprising problems in this age of mail verification technology, and I would not recommend it if there are other options to solve the problem.

Faan, is your goal to have the mail to one email address be delivered to two different mail accounts then?
    And if yes, why?

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Dave thanks for the reply.
    What I eventually did was to forward the mail from webmail in cPanel to my newly created gmail address.
    Later on yesterday I started receiving mail directly as they were fetched by gmail from the server.

I have someone doing some admin for me and I did not want to get the person involved with all my other mail which has nothing to do with the business and that being the reason for the new gmail address.

I prefer using gmail as everything gets stored by Google. It suits me at this stage. Whether it is good in the long run one still has to see as everything lies now with Google.
    But, thank you the problem is solved.
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    Just be wary of this. There are 2 reasons I can think of (off the top of my head) why making these automatic forwarding rules is not such a good idea:
    1. If the 2nd address tries to reply to an email, they have to take note that they need to include the originator (and any other CC's) manually. Otherwise the email will only be replied to yourself - not the customer. And unfortunately the originator's address isn't always included in the forwarded message - even less the CCs.
    2. Depending on the amount of email, you are setting yourself up to be blacklisted - forwarding emails (especially in bulk) is one of the things the blacklisters look out for. So you could quite easily find your emails being blocked as possible spam.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Just be wary of this. There are 2 reasons I can think of (off the top of my head) why making these automatic forwarding rules is not such a good idea:
    1. If the 2nd address tries to reply to an email, they have to take note that they need to include the originator (and any other CC's) manually. Otherwise the email will only be replied to yourself - not the customer. And unfortunately the originator's address isn't always included in the forwarded message - even less the CCs.
    2. Depending on the amount of email, you are setting yourself up to be blacklisted - forwarding emails (especially in bulk) is one of the things the blacklisters look out for. So you could quite easily find your emails being blocked as possible spam.
    As to your point no 1 it was only a few emails that arrived as forwarded email and were handled successfully.

With reference to point 2 the forwarding was from my website to myself.

Thanks for the comments
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    Surely if you use imap instead of pop3 you will accomplish what you want to do? Imap doesn't delete the read mail from the server so you can access it from anywhere and any number of times. Or am I missing something here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast