I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks we are going about redressing our history the wrong way. I have for some time indicated that measures should be based on economic status indicators rather than returning to racially based discrimination measures which is what caused the problem in the first place.

No less than Dr. Frederick Van Zyl Slabbert has now come out openly challenging that setting racially based measures is actually re-inforcing the divides between races. Full story per IOL here.
South Africa should move away from its "stubborn" obsession with race and focus on the socio-economic backgrounds of people to transform the country, political analyst Frederik van Zyl Slabbert said on Wednesday.

"If you make yourself hostage to a racist past you could budget on a racist future," Slabbert said.

He was speaking at the launch of a report on The Revival Of Racial Classification In Post-Apartheid South Africa, which warned that several new laws and actions taken by government were in essence creating a new system of racial classification.

"Unless government reconsiders its racial consciousness, the political transition of 1994 will be reduced to a mere transition from one racially driven dispensation to yet another racially driven dispensation, under pretext of democracy," said Kallie Kriel, author of the report and chief executive of AfriForum. AfriForum is a civil society discussion forum, which was started by trade union Solidarity.