Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why should one use an estate agent?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi Dave,

Absolutely true.

However every good professional in his industry will advise clients what to look for in a professional, not simply keep quite.

Tell me the important points of a field I have no knowledge about so that I can make an informed decision, that the specific person I am contacting with has the credentials to provide me with the the correct manner of services.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

2. Thanks given for this post:

Nickolai Naydenov (07-Apr-12)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I personally think that estate agents are useless. They never know the answers to all the questions I've got and I mean questions relevant to the property like how much are the levies, who's the managing agent, how old is the building and etc. you also have to chase after them to view a property, they don't return your calls, when there is something that needs to be done to the property they hide it just so they can get the highest price and commission and for all that trouble you must pay them 5-9% commission ( I have not seen an agent that will accept less then 5% comm so not sure where Adrian got the 2.5% from).

If you looking at the seller's side there's many issues, for example they want a sole mandate, once they get it there's nothing you can do, and they don't care anyway, they make you leave your house when people are coming to view your property, when there are offers they decide how much they will drop the price as ifthey can make this decision for you, they are absolutely pathetic, I'm talking from personal experience, I have had dealings with number of them. They don't help you with paperwork and so on.

I've had cases where I was looking for a property with a few requirements in a certain area, I have ready pre-approved bond, I tell them how much I want to spend and they still do nothing. i have 4 properties and one of them I bought from a lady in a complex that wasn't even advertised, long story short, the lady had signed sole mandate with a company and despite the fact that the agent never advertised the property and the fact that I got in touch with the seller did't make any difference, the agent wanted their not just their full comm but even more money. I personally avoid estate agents, I even rent my properties out by myself as these people take money for not looking after the property and they have no responsibilites so at the end I end up fixing and painting my units, however doing it myself everything is been good so far.

So bottom line is estate agents are a waste of money, nerves and time, that's of course my own view on the matter.
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The 2.5% was what that guy said he takes for himself and the other 2.5% goes to the agency = 5% comm.

Suspended
    Thanks
    1. An estate agent's knowledge of the local area, the type of properties for sale within it and the potential demand will allow them to calculate your property's value accurately and realistically for sale.
    2. They should be able to substantiate why your home will sell, the kind of buyers that might be interested in it.
    3. A good agent can only do their job if you work with them. Make sure they have a set of keys from the beginning. Allow them to post a sales board outside the property.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123