Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why should one use an estate agent?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Dave, though I agree with you to a point it is a bit like saying I should buy a secondhand car from a dealer because lots of deslers have spent a lot of time and effort on marketing. I agree that it works for some, the doctor who doesn't have the time to drive from owner to owner looking at cars or the young lady who simply doesn't know enough about cars.

To stay with the analogy of cars, the salesman doesn't have the foggiest idea about the technicalities of the car, he has 50 cars on the lot and he needs to get them sold.

To get back to buying houses; (in a roundabout way) when we need to buy a car we compare cars, compare their specs, talk to our friends and ensure that the car has a perfect service history. (The great car salesman would have this all at his fingertips) Yet, when we by a house we walk around a bit, talk to the estate agent etc. We buy the house without plans, service history, and 90% of the time without even speaking to the previous owner or the new neighbours. We simply buy on subjective superficial observation and the say so of a third party (who sells it voetstoots because it is not his responsibility to look in the ceiling or check the plans). I am technically minded enough to look at deeper issues but what about the young lady that buys the house with the faulty electrics and is then told that 'she must sort it out herself' (She buys a nice secondhand VW Golf and when she pops the boot 3 weeks later finds that the spare wheel is missing because it was never supplied - then the salesman says to her, tough, you bought the car from me but I never said that I will check that all the parts are included)....Somebody needs to be held accountable and I contend that it is the salesman

I like to talk in analogies and here is another, when we go to a restaurant we interact with the waiter. The waiter doesn't cook the food, he merely serves the food, but, he is responsible to get the order right, bring clean cutlery etc, if the food is bad or the glass is dirty we do not get up a argue with the chef of tell the cleaning staff to clean the glasses properly, no, we $h1t on the waiter and it is his responsibility to sort the problem out. If he doesn't resolve the problem to our satisfaction then we refuse to give him a 10% tip (say R100 for a group of people). But we are perfectly happy to say that it is ok for an agent to take R62,500 and then say that nothing whatsoever related to the transaction is his responsibility....there is something fundamentally wrong with this picture.

2. Thanks given for this post:

flaker (05-Apr-12)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    i dont want to digress too much from the thread but i have had numerous instances of failed commitments from BUSINESS brokers. A business is advertised saying it does this turnover and makes this nett profit. So i call the broker & ask as to how he has verified this turnover and profit. And everytime, but everytime i'm told that they do not do that and it is up to the seller to do his own due diligence.What it eventually boils down to is that the commission earned is merely for introducing buyer to seller, that is it.Not fair.
    With respect to estate agents, i've yet to find one that does the full homework. i'm in the market to buy a flat. I've had many instances where flats are advertised and the agent has not done his homework with respect to size in terms of square meterage, parking bays, parking bays for rental from body coporate etc. Sad

Suspended
    Thanks
    Last edited by Doug B; 05-Apr-12 at 04:22 AM.

Suspended
    Thanks
    bye mwAH
    Last edited by Doug B; 05-Apr-12 at 04:23 AM.

Suspended
    Thanks
    CIAO
    Last edited by Doug B; 05-Apr-12 at 04:24 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Taking into consideration that the more serious questions got no proper reply and that we see a lot of edited post I accept the fact that the estate agent here wishes not to conduct a proper debate. Perhaps we were not worthy of their time. Perhaps it is something else. Who knows...

Sticking with the topic however if you do plan to use an estate agent perhaps shopping around for one with a good reputation is a start. In any business do you want a partner/employee or contractor to leave you in a ditch?

The answer is a resounding no…
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think that we are getting too deep with our questions, and hence the lack of replies.

The same follows with fully furnished rentals, all the estate agent does is gets you to deposit the money into their account before you move in, once you there, the fact that the bed stinks, or the chais are broken, or the light bulbs are faulty is not their concern, you are expected to spend your money to fix it. Every time I ask, did you actually visit the premises you are advertising? and the answer is no, we just act on the behalf of the owner.

Very Stinky I say. The loudness of the silence is deafening.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

9. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (05-Apr-12)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    I think that we are getting too deep with our questions, and hence the lack of replies.

The same follows with fully furnished rentals, all the estate agent does is gets you to deposit the money into their account before you move in, once you there, the fact that the bed stinks, or the chais are broken, or the light bulbs are faulty is not their concern, you are expected to spend your money to fix it. Every time I ask, did you actually visit the premises you are advertising? and the answer is no, we just act on the behalf of the owner.

Very Stinky I say. The loudness of the silence is deafening.
    This is exactly why I have a problem with the industry, if the person takes no responsibility other than acting as a glorified classified advertisment, then why in the world should one pay huge fees and commissions.

11. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (05-Apr-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post

Sticking with the topic however if you do plan to use an estate agent perhaps shopping around for one with a good reputation is a start.
    One I can recommend without hesitation is Charles Alterskye in Amanzimtoti. A true professional. Most of the others I have (almost) dealt with were bored housewives selling properties for pocket money.

Do not be afraid to ask for references and qualifications. You do not have to deal with the first agent you meet. There are some good ones out there, but there are more unqualified people giving the industry a bad name.

Unfortunately the principals just chase sales and go for the money rather than quality.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

13. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (06-Apr-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Dave, though I agree with you to a point it is a bit like saying I should buy a secondhand car from a dealer because lots of deslers have spent a lot of time and effort on marketing.
    The main thrust of that post was to tackle the "they get too much money for what they do" angle.

My answer to the primary question would be - if you don't have the skill, or the capital, or the knowledge, or the network, or the time, or the inclination, it could well be in your interests to use an estate agent. Much like anything else really - you can do it yourself or you can call in a professional.

And I assure you, as someone who services this market, there are some very professional estate agents out there.
    And lots of less-than-great agents too in truth. But again, that's also a pretty common issue across industries.

15. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (07-Apr-12)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast