Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help and staff discount offered at Game

Thanks

Help and staff discount offered at Game

please tell your kids to be aware???

Some poor kid from out of town went into our local Game to buy a laptop.
    on his way to the checkout he was approached by a guy wearing what looked like a Game uniform, he offered help and asked the kid if he wanted a staff discount because he could wangle it.

Long story short he took the laptop and the kids money and told the kid to meet him at the goods entrance at the rear of the shop, needless to say he never pitched up and the kids money was gone.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ouch!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    B*st*rd!

Unfortunately, if something seems to good to be true, it often is. Do they have cameras in the store?
    Last edited by rfnel; 29-Mar-12 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rfnel View Post
    B*st*rd!

Do they have cameras in the store?
    Yes but apparently nothing could be seen!!
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Yes but apparently nothing could be seen!!
    probably an ex employee and knows the camera's blindspots...
    once there was a man. the end.

Thanks
    On the other side of the coin, shouldn't it be reasonable to expect the "victim" to be savvy enough to know that what he was trying to do was just a little illegal, or at the very least, dishonest ?

And given that, he was himself party to a crime / fraud. The fact that it went horrible wrong for him suddenly turned him into the "victim".

So, as bad as this sounds, he entered into a criminal or fraudulent activity willingly for the sole purpose of personal benefit at the expense of another ( in this case, the store ) - he got what he deserved.

Kind of like if I try to buy something that fell off the back of a truck, but get duped out of my cash. Do I have the right to complain even if I was being dishonest at the time ?
    Watching the ships passing by.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (31-Mar-12)

Thanks
    How old was the child? Perhaps the child did not know that it constituted fraud to abuse the employee discount system? I don't think the kid deserved to lose his hard earned savings, but I do think that this is a good life lesson for him (maybe worth more than cash he lost?).

It seems that the child entered the store with the intent to make an honest purchase, and was deceived and convinced by an adult with criminal intentions, to take up an offer to use his employee discount.
    Last edited by mbsmit; 07-Apr-12 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Grammer - will need to start proof-reading my posts! :-)
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" Martin Luther King, Jnr

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    What parent lets his kid go shopping with R3-5K cash?
    I'm with doavob - if the parent is doff enough to let their kid go shopping on his own with that kind of money then one can't really expect the parent to teach the kid to think for themself!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rfnel View Post
    B*st*rd!

Unfortunately, if something seems to good to be true, it often is. Do they have cameras in the store?
    I emphasize the aforementioned! It's really a terrible thing to have happened within what is perceived to be a safe environment. I'm actually asking myself, what would I have done if somone in a Game uniform approached me and offered a staff discount on a laptop. If I were to safe R500 I would have taken the deal, but I would have followed him and not let him out of my sight..
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is how criminals work now. See it is simple the fact is the criminal needs there victim to feel or to be guilty of something wrong thus they will not report the crime. Was the victim really guilty? The answer is no.

See firstly if a staff member of game comes to you and talk about a possible discount and that they can make it happen it is not criminal! You do not know what game's policy is. Also a discount is not steeling...

Here is the facts; a person walking around in game with a game uniform but he is not actually a employee? And the security didn’t spot him? Really? All those cameras and not the staff nor the security noted him? Surly a staff member would have known if that person is a coworker or not?

So game failed to notice a criminal warring a game uniform and that person stole the victims money? The only reason why this happened is because the criminal had access to the victim inside the store. The victim had no reason to question anything.

What I do question is this: Why didn’t anyone working for game report this person after all he was not really an employee?

Why didn’t the security pick up on him, taking a customer's money wasn't a red flag?

In all honesty it looks to me as if the criminal had real help blending in…
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast