Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little guy that doesn't understand why he remains little.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

A little guy that doesn't understand why he remains little.

This guy posted an ad on Gumtree asking people to place their craft wares in his new shop. I thought it looked interesting so I asked him to mail me his fee structure. This was the response I got (with no attachment)

Sent: 28 March 2012 18:05
    To: xxx
    Subject: Re: Reply to your "ARTS & CRAFTS 4 U LOOKING FOR NEW CRAFTERS FOR NEW SHOP" Ad

I have attached The price list with sizes, so it all depends on how much space you need, and there is a 22% comiction Charged on the sales. For this you will get a Shop space that will be open From 9am -7pm Monday to Fridays Saturday from 9am- 5pm and Sundays from 9am- 2pm. Your Customer will have the chose of using Cash or Card and we have Camera and a security Guard. As well as sale staff to help. What our crafters do to claim their cash back for rental and comition is to had 30% on to what they want for their product. So eg: You want R100 you would add 30% and sell for R130.

If you need anything else please contact me.

From xxx
    Arts & Crafts
    Uh ok, well I think I'll give it a miss.

Thanks
    Maybe I'm being dof....is he charging a monthly rental for the shelf space you use plus a 22% comission on turnover on top or just the 22% comission? I know there's an art/craft shop in our local mall that also rents shelf space but I have no idea if they whack you with a large turnover tax as well. Maybe I'll pop in and find out. I've never been in there but I have it logged in memory as the place I'll head for if I ever have an urgent need for hand crafted doilies or potpourri

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They can't spell.

But can they sell?

Oh - you're given it a miss. Question answered

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Its standard practice in the industry to charge for shelf space and comm. They set it up in such a way that the rental space covers their cost and the comm. is pure profit. Another thing to remember is that the craft shops hold no stock, they simply act as shelf space rental agents.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Its standard practice in the industry to charge for shelf space and comm. They set it up in such a way that the rental space covers their cost and the comm. is pure profit. Another thing to remember is that the craft shops hold no stock, they simply act as shelf space rental agents.
    I know nothing about this industry, I take it you're involved, can you make a profit with your craft wares like this? Just interested to know
    once there was a man. the end.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    What generally happens is that the new crafters and or new shops fill the shelves with handmade stuff. As time passes and the crafters don't make a lot of money the craft shops turn in cheap imported junk shops. Look at all the rubbish being sold at the craft shop in Canal Walk, it is mostly cheap imported junk. The problem is that the consumer isn't willing to pay a fair price for a handmade product. We are so used to purchasing good quality mass produced products for next to nothing that we no longer appreciate hand craft. Can one make a living from it, I doubt it, you as the crafter is responsible for the restocking of the shelf and to make things worse, you are only paid by the shop at the end of the month. So if the crafter has his stock in many shops he has to run from shop to shop to ensure that his stock is ok and he is out of pocket till the end of the month.

7. Thanks given for this post:

3x-a-d3-u5 (30-Mar-12)

Thanks
    Is it general practice for the shop to pay for stock that has suffered theft? I see in the email they boast about their cameras and guard so there would be the implication they're responsible in this department.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This type of shop never take responsibility for any form of loss including theft.

Suspended
    Thanks
    And the beat goes on..the Whispers...STAND UP FOR THE LITTLE GUY !!
    Last edited by Doug B; 03-Apr-12 at 02:04 PM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    @Doug - I can only assume that you drink very heavily in the morning because I find it hard to believe that a sober person could write the rubbish that you do. Given that you leave your company information in the footer of your mail, I can only assume that you are an employee or you would rather just be an employee considering that do you do not seem to care much about the fact that google will link the url to your clever comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast