Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this how we create jobs?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Is this how we create jobs?

Quote from Engineering News 28 March 2012;

"Aganang project manager Werner Kieweg said that Sinoma International Engineering, the Chinese company responsible for the construction of the cement plant, currently had about 238 Chinese employees on site and 38 local workers.

At the peak of construction, which was expected in January 2013, Sinoma would employ about 500 local workers and some 1 000 Chinese workers. This excluded employees tasked with non-turnkey projects, such as roads and electricity. Sephaku started construction of its new R2.3-billion, 2.5-million-ton-a-year cement production facility in the North West, late last year."

Is this how we grow employment and the South African economy in general? South Africa has a strong and experienced construction industry with world class companies. How is it possible that a Chinese company, employing Chinese labour, gets a contract of this magnitude?

Who authorised this and who received backhanders?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Suspended
    Thanks
    Hi Blurock,I think it is bloody digusting and a clear indication that this government,like so many others in Africa is far more interested in lining their own pockets than either the working class man in the street( who ironically probably voted him in !) or the country as a whole.

Thanks
    Those in power, never the less how they got there, will only look after their own, follow the paper trail and you will find the kick back partners, if you do name and shame or pass on to COSATU
    Last edited by Leeu; 28-Mar-12 at 09:17 AM.

Thanks
    On the other side of the coin.........................

During the time I have been "away", I got involved with the DA and through that got elected as a local municipal ward committee member. Our ward is involved in the upgrading of our water mains system.
    I further got elected as the CLO ( Community Liaison Officer ) for this project and amongst other, I am involved in the procurement of labor for this project.
    My instruction from the municipality was to ensure that ONLY local people get employed for this project, obviously except where the need for specialized skills arise ( and then I try local first ). I even get to chose from which wards the people get employed.
    I attempted to get some white people into a job, but this did not happen !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks

Yes, the issue of "white people"

I love this government of ours, the very people that can assist in making South Africa great is rejected, that is why Chines people had/have to be recruited to the lose of the country, but when you got blinkers on, you do not see this as long as your pocket is lined

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Met a toolmaker the other day who showed me a mould he was making for a local bra manufacturer. Up till now the bra manufacturer have had tools made in Italy or China. The local toolmaker then had to make adjustments or repairs to the tool to make it work. I hope the Bra guys finally realise that we have qualified people right here at home!

Less than 20% of SA’s tooling demands are met locally. Industry is importing tools from Germany and China, leaving it vulnerable to servicing needs and breakdowns.

Time to catch a wake up and get rid of all these tenderpreneurs who source everything from overseas at the cost of their own people!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Do remember that the Chinese folk have been stated as PDI's so theoretically they are employing the local previously disadvantaged individuals (Chinese), and so meet the general quota
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post

Less than 20% of SA’s tooling demands are met locally. Industry is importing tools from Germany and China, leaving it vulnerable to servicing needs and breakdowns.
    I agree 100% with you BUT......... I tried to find a toolmaker for more than 2 years and eventually settled on a guy from Zim. Not the sharpest in the packet, but prepared to work. ( @ R80.00 / hr ! )
    Opposed to this I also imported tools from China...............real crude but does the job and @ USD 500.00 was way less than what it would have cost me to make in house.
    So, there is some economics involved as well !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Well importing stuff from China I am guilty of as well, I imported several customised 12volt solenoids, the price I paid per solenoid landed was 1/3rd the price of the would be locally manufactured, not customised solenoid, when I brought this to the attention of the local manufacturer, he said that he could not compete for several reasons, one been that his materials alone exceeded the landed cost without fabrication, so local is not so lekker, although if local was competitive I would support local first time

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Do remember that the Chinese folk have been stated as PDI's so theoretically they are employing the local previously disadvantaged individuals (Chinese), and so meet the general quota
    These are NOT PDI's. They are from mainland China and will most likely find residence here and never go back.

All this while more than 50% of our youth under 30 is unemployed! If you look at what happened in the Arabian countries and the problems emanating from areas such as Limpopo, the climate is getting ripe for a revolution...

I sincerely hope that our authorities and our business community will wake up and realise what is happening and stop this rape of our own country for personal benefit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast