Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SANS 10142 October pre 1992

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    please back these statements up with reference to the code.
    Hi Murdock,
    I dont understand what you are asking for.
    The fuses are of the re wirable type, you cannot buy the wire anymore, once the fuse wire has blown they are useless.
    I am not talking about fuses as found in Machinery panels
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NTS2011 View Post
    Hi Sparks,this is really a sad state of affairs,my opinion is that the responsibility be given back to the Municipality.At lease the Municipality can enforce By-Laws and this can be sorted out at Municipal courts.I remembered the days that their was at lease some order as far as compliance was concerned.
    Maybe we should put a recommendation forward to the Chief Inspector.
    yeah right...it was a lot cheaper giving them a couple bottles of whiskey to walk around and make it look like they were doing their job...bad bad idea.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Hi Murdock,
    I dont understand what you are asking for.
    The fuses are of the re wirable type, you cannot buy the wire anymore, once the fuse wire has blown they are useless.
    I am not talking about fuses as found in Machinery panels
    so are saying that if the fuse blows...you have to replace it with a circuit breaker?

i wanted to know where i could find this in the sabs code

Thanks
    Hi chaps I was at a house in Cape Town yesterday and was quite surprised when I opened the DB to find that there were no earth continuity conductors present except one 6mm "main" earth. The house is busy being renovated and a prepaid meter was installed. I could clearly see that the conductors had been lengthened and a new DB installed. I walked around the house and saw that the light switches and plugs were still really old but functional. I phoned the chap who did the COC and asked why there was no earthing. He said that since the installation was pre 91 (which is actually 92) the steel conduit served as the earth continuity conductor and that since the DB was now surface mounted he had bonded all the steel pipes together behind the DB and then taken one wire and terminated it in the consumers earth terminal. My big question is if he altered the installation i.e. the whole DB doesn't he have to comply with the new regs, which states that a wireway shall NOT act as a earth continuity conductor. Is his claim that he only re-did the DB valid? I had a look at the OHS act Electrical installations section 7-3 which sheds some light but not much. Any help would be great!

Suspended
    Thanks
    fact...you cannot install fuses in a new "domestic" installation...but there is no rules in the sans book that indicated that you cannot pass a domestic installation which had fuses installed orginally...however you can indicate to the owner that it would be advisable to replace the fuses and upgrade the fuse to a new DB with circuit breakers and earth leakage.

just like an installation which has no earth leakage...if there have been no alterations or addtions done since the date date the rule was enforced...we all know this is hard to apply because i have seen numerous installations where a plug has been installed and twin+e has been used...however i do advise the customer to install an earth leakage for their own safety and mine...while working in the building

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123