Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SANS 10142 October pre 1992

Suspended
    Thanks
    back to the buyer once again...if the buyer used his head...considering it could be the biggest investment he ever makes...would have got a second opinion.

a fuse box being a good example...if there was a fuse box installed prior to 1992...then the buyer could make the decision...i dont mind the fuse box...but will upgrade at a later stage...or no i want a new db...come to an agreement with the seller...who if...decided to hell with that he is not prepared to replace at the price he is asking...could tell the buyer to go fly a kite...or if desperate to get rid of the house could replace it...at his cost.

the seller might say...but it has been working for 50 years...why do i have to now have to replace it (heard this on more than one occassion) and he is right...what made it safe while he was living in the house...now sudden a new owner comes along...it becomes unsafe?

if new plugs have been installed or additions done to the installation...then it becomes a legal issue.

Email problem
    Thanks
    I have now refer`d this case to the WCAEIA (Western Cape approved electrical inspection authority) Not to sure what their powers are? but at last I am left with a frustrated client that thinks all electrical contractors are "skelm" and ready to take a chance and steal your money. We are giving our own trade a bad name!!!

Email problem
    Thanks
    Why take a chance to issue an COC on an risky installation, its the owner (seller) that has to pay for the repairs? The problem is that when you sell your house you don't want to spend more money on it, resulting on getting the cheapest guy out there to take a chance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just don't get why this "still at original standard when built" door is left open at all. If we're issuing a COC today, it should be done at today's standards.

Customer expectations have increased.
    Safety expectations have increased.
    Technology has improved and become ever more affordable.

And of greater concern, people have become more and more blasé about the perils electricity can pose (yes, even standard 220V installations).

50 years ago people were as nervous as heck of electricity and electrical cables and stayed clear.

Not anymore. More like hook it up to the back of your truck live and drive to the nearest scrap metal dealer as fast as you can.
    Last edited by Dave A; 29-Mar-12 at 11:05 AM. Reason: correction

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    You cannot issue a COC on an installation that has Fuses.
    You cannot buy the fuse wire anymore therefore rendering the fuses useless
    rendering the installation NOT reasonably safe. The fuses must be replaced by circuit breakers of the correct rating for the cable it protects.
    please back these statements up with reference to the code.

Suspended
    Thanks
    for the record i am more comfortable with older installations...whenever i do an inspection reports...8 out of 10 faults found are normally additions and alterations to older installations...i find the original installation still complies...its the joints done next original junction box...or fans installed and not earthed...cutting into exsisitng piping and not extending the earthing...fitting new breakers and not fitting the correct blanks...non weather proof boxes used outside...additional lighting and plugs to swimming pool dbs...bad gate motors and post top lighting installtions..etc...etc...etc.

so here is a question for you...do you pass the installation if the meter has a fuse box...and heres the joke mounted right on the front verandah with exposed wires?

Thanks
    What's everyone got against fuses? You can get equal if not better toleranced overload protection using fuses rather than MCB's. Fuses don't suffer damage when they open a high short circuit fault current, MCB's do. Fuses aren't prone to mechanical failure with age, water or concrete/dust ingress and they're a damn sight faster(<1/5 of a cycle) at opening fault currents than MCB's. In short MCB's are for wussies

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Sparks,this is really a sad state of affairs,my opinion is that the responsibility be given back to the Municipality.At lease the Municipality can enforce By-Laws and this can be sorted out at Municipal courts.I remembered the days that their was at lease some order as far as compliance was concerned.
    Maybe we should put a recommendation forward to the Chief Inspector.

Thanks
    Spot on Murdock, the quality of materials and workmanship were much higher the older the installation, hence my hesitance to rewire on the grounds of age without inspecting & testing. Unfortunately I cannot agree with the municipality getting the responsibility neither. There is too much bribery and laziness nowadays. A totally independant onbudsman without a vested interest has proven to be the best option. With legal clout of course. As it used to be.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NTS2011 View Post
    Hi Guys ,their is legal recourse thru the Approved Inspection Authority.If the customer feels that they got a raw deal,they can have a audit done on the installation.If it is found that there is any irregularities ,the accredited person needs to fix all defects at his cost in a certain period of time.Their is however a cost attached to the investigation.
    The customer can also contact the local Municipal Inspector who can issue a ITR (instruction to repair notice) which needs to be repaired within 21 days.
    The cost is R2500.00 for a validation inspection which includes notifying the errant electrician and the DOL and a report.
    A comprehensive inspection is also available but they dont mention the cost here
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast